C2D E4400 + GTX 460 HAWK TALON

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Im planning to buy a new VGA and a kit of DDR2 memories i was thinking in a Gtx 460 Hawk Talon Attack and a Kingston HyperX T1 DDR2 4GB 1066 kit now i had an Asus P5LD2-X mobo and a C2D E4400 processor, should it work good with the Hawk Talon or it would bottleneck ?

asiarules

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Atleast buy a quad core maybe an athlon ii x4 635 or 640 and trust me in $100 you wont find any cpu which is a great performer like this and your cpu wont bottleneck your gpu, if you upgrade to it...or else more options are out there, if you have extra money to spend :)

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Do you think my E4400 would botteneck the VGA or it should work good as expected ?

asiarules

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

it'll be fine..but its obvious that it will bottleneck your card ....try any quad cpu with your new card and you'll get your answer yourself.

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

No buddy, then if it will bottleneck i will not be pretty fine, i don't know in who to trust, the guy above you said that my CPU will hold back the VGA :??:

asiarules

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

to be honest never used fan in my whole life....not yet.,,,but if you're planning to buy one...than any fan would do.. ;)

asiarules

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

one piece of advice:- :bounce: if you want max out of it then upgrade your cpu

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

I was thinking of buying the VGA and memos and then in a few weeks but an I7 950 + a kit of 3x2GB Dominators GT DDR3 and a mobo, probably a Rampage Xtreme III or and EVGA 3 way, but at the moment i'd just want to know if i would be able to play games like The Godfather 2, Prince of Persia 2008, Kane and Lynch, COD 6 etc maxed out at 1080p and a decent amount of 50 or 60 fps with the new VGA and the C2D :D

asiarules

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

you can try it because either way you're going to buy the gpu..

so there is nothing to lose... ;)

yes you can play all these games...cant say with aaa on or not cuz you've 1080p hd monitor...so no comments...with your current cpu.

i played these games with my old phenom x4 1st generation quad 9550

long time ago.

so i believe maybe you can also.

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Having 2 cores wont bottleneck a game IMO, more likely the clock speed would bottleneck, so you can overclock your cpu untill you get a new one ( cpu scaling in Wow: Cataclysm http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,review-32061-9.html ) .
If i were you i would go Sandy Bridge - 209$ i5 2500k vs 279$ i7 950.. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=100 Oh and dont forget you can overclock the 2500k to 5 Ghz.. ^.^

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

But i can't do SLI and tri channel with that processor cuz of the motherboards right ? that would be a big waste since in that way i would lost a big amount of performance, anyway that woul be the best processor if it can just do SLI and tri channel.

oc_mania

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Sandy Bridge 1155 cpus can ofcourse do SLI, but cant do tri channel. There isnt really any advantage in tri channel over dual channel. http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AoHE7iDJrYucOm0n&templete=2 - as you can see, it can support SLI and Crossfire, where did you read SB motherboards dont support SLI ? :D :X The 2011 motherboards will support quad channel, but they will release Q4 2011. And as i said, the difference between tri channel and dual channel is minimal. http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Memory/Intel-Core-i7-Dual-Channel-vs.-Triple-Channel-Memory-Mode.html

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

If my C2D will work fine with the hawk and if it won't botteneck it, i'd just stick with the C2D and wait a couple months until the LGA 2011 comes out and then buy it with the 2500k.

Haha that's because i had seen an Asus mobo that just had one x16 slot xD and then i realised about the one you showed me :)

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Yup, it is.. the VGA has nothing to do with the clock speed, but the RAM does, right ? i mean you had to put the clocks in corcondance with the RAM from what i know.

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
You buy a gpu according to your monitors resolution.
The Gpu will power your screen.
Now if you can run a game 50 to 60 fps on a LCD at 1080p that can only spit out 60 fps with a single gpu what good will a cpu and adding another gpu do? You will still only see 50-60fps on 1080p @60mhz.

if your cpu is running at 3Ghz and above it won't bottleneck. You will be fine.

Ok, but i should put the clocks of the proccesor in corcondance with the GPU clocks, ram latency or something else or not ?

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
no.

If your going to upgrade to a sli setup that can run at a higher resolution than what your native resolution is your going to waste money if you don't upgrade your monitor to one that have a higher native resolution.
^that's for something to think about when your upgrading like you mentioned later or whenever.

For you current setup. Just Oc the cpu to 3Ghz or 3.2ghz. your playing at a high resolution which means theres more load on the card and the cpu will keep up. If you feel there's a slight bottleneck in a game all you do is switch on features in the game that will put more load on the gpu like AA/AF and such. Most bottleneck occurs when people run a good gpu on a low resolution coz their monitor native is a low resolution which means the gpu can do its work with ease and at a blistering pace coz it don't have as much to do which means it will outrun the cpu. Your playing at 1080p so you don't need a massive overclock of the cpu.

I think you don't get the question mate.. i was referring to something like when you overclock your processor, you had to put the ram clocks in corcondance with the processor ones, i was wondering if i have to do the same with the GPU when i overclock the processor, anyway, speaking of monitors i was thinking in the Asus VW246H, how many fps could i achieve with it ?

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
your current resolution is fine. 1080p is perfect for that card. Only when you go with a bigger sli setup or a higher end gpu do you have think about getting another monitor with a bigger native resolution.

99 percent of LCDs can only spit out 60fps coz the run at 60mhz. So that why I say you will only see 60fps. So can you see what will happen when you run something like 2 or 3 cards but your monitor limits you? But that's not important now coz your resolution you have is perfect for that card.

For the overclock question no the gpu and cpu clocks have nothing to do with each other. If a cpu bottlenecks it means the cpu can't keep up with the gpu normally as it is too slow.
Reasons its too slow can be

1. You got a very old cpu, which you don't have
2. Your running at gpu at a very low resolution like 720p when it can handle 1020p with ease. That's not a issue coz your running it at a high resolution.
3. Your have a low clock speed. Now its well known all round running a cpu at 3Ghz and above get rid of any cpu bottlenecks. Some games are less demanding on the gpu and a cpu with a higher clock will mean the gpu can't pull away from it or if the game is cpu intensive the cpu won't trip in its own workload.

When you overclock you'll have to overclock the fsb. There are numerous overclocking guides here's 1

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=27&t=1&p=0

You can google and you'll find lots of them

Thank you buddy :)