Help Me Choose & Improve! Two Builds AMD & Intel/Nvidia

Approximate Purchase Date: Now thru End of Year

Budget Range: Ideally I'd like to get down to $1,000, but am comfortable going up to $1,200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming & Programming

Parts Not Required: Case, Optical Drive, Keyboard & Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, but willing to shop elsewhere if the price is right (including additional shipping cost factored in).

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: No Preference. Want the best price vs. performance. Although Nvidia video card would be nice for CUDA Programming, but not a requirement as I mostly game with this computer.

Overclocking: Maybe - Not interested in liquid cooling.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Whatever the 24" Monitor I choose supports at max.

Additional Comments: Quiet PC with low idle power draw. Also, if anyone can confirm that either of these setups will work in my current case that I have listed above in "Parts Not Required".

Here are the builds in question!

Intel Computer
AMD Computer
8 answers Last reply
More about help choose improve builds intel nvidia
  1. You should wait for new Intel CPU's releasing 9th Jan, 2011 unitl which we will have new GPU's from AMD as well. So dont throw ur money away on soon to become old gen components.
  2. I doubt I'll be able to afford the new Sandy Bridge CPU's anyways knowing Intel and their pricing. I am not looking to get the best of the best, but rather a system that will last me for a few years.
  3. Intel aint gona release only a high end processor, they are replacing the whole line of the current i3/5/7 CPU's. So buyers have the options of getting a CPU in every budget range and will you will get much much better performance in your price range. So waiting a couple of weeks more then ur original purchase date will ensure u get better bang for ur buck and also ensure a longer run for your system.
  4. ^ agreed

Two options to follow:
    1| wait until mid of Q1 2011 and the config you have posted will be easier on your wallet.
    2| wait until Q1 2011 and get the new lineup from intel thas replacing all core i's
  5. I appreciate your guys opinions and I may wait, but I am also itching for a new build now. So if anyone has any advice or improvements to either of these builds to get it closer to 1K I'd appreciate it :)
  6. ^ you could follow this thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300227-31-6870-withing#t2227866

sorry bro, could've just posted the links to newegg here...just a lil lazy of an all nighter :P
  7. all price specified are with free shipping unless stated (and after MIR where it applies)

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz $145

Mobo
    BIOSTAR TA890FXE AM3 AMD 890FX $134

RAM
    OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600MHz get 2 of these $77x2 = $154

GPU
    XFX HD-687A-ZNBC Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition 1GB 256-bit DDR5 $260 after MIR + $8 shipping = $268

PSU
    XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W 80+ Bronze $65 after MIR+ $5 shipping = $70

SSD
    OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB $135

Data HDD
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache $70

total - $ 976
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product