Sign in with
Your question

My i7 cpu wont work in my p55usb3

Last response: in CPUs
March 1, 2011 3:29:47 AM

Just bought the i7 870 1156 and I was planning on using the old motherboard that I was using for my i5 655k P55usb3 that was running an i5 just moments before flawlessly but as I lay the machine down and swap the two cpu's with much glee and delight I hit the power and it fires up and then.......... nothing only a no signal on the tv and I get no video. The board should be compatible with this 1156 i7 870 chip and this is the reason for purchsing it. So I swaped the two cpus again and the i5 works fine. Can any one help as this is a new one for me. Is the chip deffective? Is there a way to test or should I just return it to the store. Please help me.

More about : cpu wont work p55usb3

March 1, 2011 6:07:43 AM

bustergob said:
Just bought the i7 870 1156 and I was planning on using the old motherboard that I was using for my i5 655k P55usb3 that was running an i5 just moments before flawlessly but as I lay the machine down and swap the two cpu's with much glee and delight I hit the power and it fires up and then.......... nothing only a no signal on the tv and I get no video. The board should be compatible with this 1156 i7 870 chip and this is the reason for purchsing it. So I swaped the two cpus again and the i5 works fine. Can any one help as this is a new one for me. Is the chip deffective? Is there a way to test or should I just return it to the store. Please help me.

get the new BIOS, although I think if the 655K is working the 870 is older and should work but still, you can get the BIOS here if it is the p55usb3 rev 2.0 or here, if it is the rev 1.0.

Good luck!
m
l
March 1, 2011 4:55:36 PM

Did you try reseting the BIOS by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery?
m
l
March 2, 2011 3:56:14 AM

razor_gt said:
get the new BIOS, although I think if the 655K is working the 870 is older and should work but still, you can get the BIOS here if it is the p55usb3 rev 2.0 or here, if it is the rev 1.0.

Good luck!

Tried all the above even tried replacing the cpu again with a new i7 everyone I have spoken with says this is a very unusual problem so I will attempt to RMA the board to Gigabyte for a second time for a totally unrelated issue. I think next time I will go with an ASUS board I have had only minimal problems in the past and should have stuck with that brand.

Thanks for your quick response to my thread
m
l
!