Sign in with
Your question

PC Difficulties (Compatibility Issue?)

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2010 2:21:39 AM

Hey everyone reading this post. :hello: 

Been having some problems with this new computer that I recently bought. The power supply has blown a fuse (or something) twice and I wonder if this has something to do with the other hardware components?

(Keeping in mind this computer is for moderate-to-high end gaming.)

The Specs (as I know them):

PowereX 500W Power Supply (at the moment)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition, 125W?
Motherboard: Gigabyte 880GM-USB
RAM: Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 (4GB; 2X2GB)
HDD: Samsung HD103U 1TB SATA II
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223C
Graphic Card: Nvidia GTX 460
Case: Aywun A1-602

When Idle, the cooler fan seems to run a little loud but is consistent in it's speed and noise and there is no problem using standard programs that come with Windows 7 (Chess Titans etc).

When under load, the cooler fan immediately becomes a bit louder and slowly becomes louder and louder while using games (in both cases of PS-Explosions, using Dawn of War 2) until it sounds like standing next to a small jet-aircraft.

Thing is, this occurs no matter what I'm doing in-game (same if loading a map, interacting with the menus etc.)

At the height of this, the PS goes boom. (Luckily/Strangely enough, this hasn't caused any other component damage.)

This was bought with the components selected online then pre-made.

At a glance this looks ok, but the fact the PS exploded twice convinces me otherwise. :heink: 
December 4, 2010 3:08:44 AM

Check the sticker on the side of your power supply, see how many 12V rails there are and what the current rating on each rail is, it may be too weak to handle your system at full load, or your system is heating up the air in the case too much and causing its over temp protection to trip. Those are my two theories, clean some dust out and make sure that all your case fans have decent airflow to help minimize the second one a bit.
m
l
December 4, 2010 5:44:17 AM

I checked the sticker on the side of the power supply as you said, however I wasn't able to understand what the sticker was displaying. I know it is rated 500W (from what I was able to read from the sticker).

Because I couldn't understand the first part, I then proceeded to download a program called SpeedFan to measure my computers performance. Apparantly the computer can heat up to 53*C with the side of it's case off (under load), with the fields Temp2, 3 and Core. The computer has almost no dust in it, being somewhat brand new. :sweat: 

To try and help solve this, I was going to look into maybe replacing the CPU fan/heatsink and put in some extra third party fans?
m
l
!