Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Printer Sharing - Windows 7 to XP

Last response: in Networking
June 1, 2010 11:11:22 PM

I currently have a HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One printer that I'm trying to share with several XP (32-bit) machines on my network.

On my Windows 7 machine, I open control panel -> hardware and sound -> devices and printers -> [select the appropriate printer] -> printer properties -> sharing. Then attempt to add x86 driver in the 'additional drivers' option.

The problem is that I can't seem to find a good means of installing the additional drivers. HP doesn't make it easy, as they've insisted in wrapping up all the available drivers in a .exe installer, which refuses to run on the 64-bit Windows 7 machine. I can't find a bare .INF file anywhere.

I tried extracting the installer file as suggested by another Tom's poster here. But I can't locate the .INF file in the resulting set.

Granted, I suppose I could just install the drivers individually on each of the XP machines, but I was hoping to keep it on the one Windows 7 machine for the convenience of being able to reload the others as needed and minimize additional maintenance. Any ideas?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 13, 2011 1:39:14 PM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
!