Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Slave Drive?

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2010 3:17:48 AM

A while ago I built my first pc with a 2tb sata hard drive with a fresh windows 7 installed on it. I recently found an old sata hard drive with vista installed on it. I was wondering how to install it as a slave drive without doing a reformatting it. I think I read something about taking ownership of it or something. So if anybody could give me some info, that would be great. Thanks.

More about : slave drive

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 4, 2010 4:11:59 AM

The SATA interface doesn't have any master or slave drives.

If you're keeping your 2 TB HDD as your primary disk adding the old SATA HDD as a secondary disk is easy.

The following information is from Microsoft's website.

Once the secondary disk has been wired up you should be able to see the new hard disk drive the next time you start your computer and log on to Windows. After Windows starts, click the Start button, click Computer, and then look for your new drive. The letter assigned to the drive will depend on your computer’s configuration. If you don't see the new hard disk drive, try looking for it in Computer Management as follows:

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management, and then look for the new drive.

If your computer doesn't recognize the new hard disk, double-check the installation instructions that came with the hard disk. If you have additional questions, go to the manufacturer's website.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 4, 2010 7:39:33 AM

Welcome newcomer!

Can we have specs of your new and old HDD - and how old is the 80GB?

adding new sata HDD is like putting on your left shoe after you've tied your right :) 

there's nothing to it. just plug in the power/data sata cables and hook the other end to the mobo/psu connector...and voila, on bootup your disk is detected and the necessary drivers installed.

No need for reformatting and btw slave drive set was a thing of the past with IDE cables having to be shown what drive is primary and what drive was slave (and the jumpers had to be adjusted accordingly)...there are options in the jumper settings behind the sata HDD but they're useless with todays tech.

A small word of advise (even thou we haven't seen the sata models) - keep the 80GB for the OS to boot on and the 2TB as a storage disk
m
l
December 4, 2010 4:42:57 PM

Best answer selected by jack66.
m
l
!