Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[SOLVED] Help! I wanna know for sure if my MOBO is dead

Last response: in Motherboards
November 4, 2011 2:18:57 PM

Hi! i just made my new around here so i hope im not too much of a bother..

The thing is I've spent alot of time surfing the web for possible ways on how to tell if my MOBO really (hope not) dead.

scenario: im trying to rebuild my PC that was left for almost a year now in my closet. after i put things together and making sure all the components are on its right place, i decided to give it a try and there was my problem, at first i was happy because it powers on, the motherboard has a power and reset led lit onboard and all is working fine,case fans,HSF,HDD,Optical drives) then suddenly after 5-6 seconds it restarts without even reaching or atleast showing the bios (nothing on my monitor). although it powers up again, and good it didnt restart this time, it wont show me anything on my monitor.

tried to do the necessary troubleshooting but still had no luck, it will power on, after 5-6 secs it will restarts, power on again, its just like stated above. it looks like a sleeping PC, power is on but it has NO beeps, no post, no nothing.

test: Bareboned it, removed the peripherals, cleared the CMOS, jumpers, replace battery, shorted my PSU to test it in case it was bad but was working (i voltage test it too), on

and so i came up with the conclusion that maybe perhaps maybe my MOBO is dead on its knees.

here is my components:
intel core 2 quad q6600 G0 Stepping B
Asus P5Q-E (Bios 2101)
Corsair H100 Cooler ------> (newly purchased)
Patriot Signature PC2-6400 800mhz 4GB
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1 GB------> (also new)
500 GB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Epsilon 600W PSU.

Please, can someone tell me, what went wrong.

More about : solved wanna mobo dead

November 4, 2011 2:35:17 PM

Thats a strange issue going to have al ot of possibilitys

cable attaching the card to the monitor could be defective or loose
The graphics card is new so I don't think it will be it
The motherboard maybe causing the issue. May want to call ASUS and request for level 2 tech support but they will take approximately an hour before they reach your call.

Im sorry this isn't as responsive but all your aprts are fine and I think its your motherboard or graphics card since its a screen issue. Also try a different monitor and etc. maybe defective cables pherhaps on the mobo?
November 4, 2011 2:37:00 PM

It sounds like a power supply problem. It's a good P/S but even good ones can develop problems.
Related resources
November 4, 2011 2:39:56 PM

Could be power supply issue but the thign is he got it on........

600W won't last 6 seconds if it didn't support enough power

Is it 80 plus bronze at least?
November 5, 2011 8:48:12 AM

check if your cpu hitsink and fans are tightened correctly? Try other power supply if it doesn't work remove rams and try them on other slots.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2011 2:25:50 AM

Did you disconnect and reconnect all the power connectors including the 8 pin? You will probably need the 8 pin instead of the 4 pin to help power the pci-e lane for your new video card. Got the correct power connectors connected on the video card? It does sound like a psu problem. Any way to borrow or buy and return one to test it? Your power supply is a good brand and the recommended psu is only 500W for a similar system so the wattage should be fine if all is working as it should. With the new cpu cooler make sure you plug at least 1 plug into the cpu fan header. Do you have the old video card to put in and test it? Worth a shot.
November 14, 2011 1:47:37 PM

First of, i'd like to thank all of you guys for your inputs. i really appriciate it!
atleast i think i already found the culprit, i was my CPU! my q6600 G0 has just kicked the bucket.
ive done all test but forgot to check one thing.. try another CPU.. my bad

good thing my cousin has an old e7400 C2D that works well on my 775 MOBO (OC'ed @4.1 GHz) that i can use atleast until i upgrade to a more powerfull i-series.

Again Thanks to all! (Shukran Jazeelahn)

November 14, 2011 1:47:56 PM

First of, i'd like to thank all of you guys for your inputs. i really appriciate it!
atleast i think i already found the culprit, i was my CPU! my q6600 G0 has just kicked the bucket.
ive done all test but forgot to check one thing.. try another CPU.. my bad

good thing my cousin has an old e7400 C2D that works well on my 775 MOBO (OC'ed @4.1 GHz) that i can use atleast until i upgrade to a more powerfull i-series.

Again Thanks to all! (Shukran Jazeelahn)

November 14, 2011 1:48:08 PM

sorry for the double post above., there's something wrong in my net and by the time i notice i posted it already.

again problem is solve.. it was my CPU that is busted!

thanks all!
November 16, 2011 12:12:28 PM

Best answer selected by khalifa.
July 13, 2012 1:27:00 AM

the problem on that build its the CPU compatibility with the MOBO, I had that exact problem, that 6 second turn on , no BOOT the automatic reset, so i recomend you to see compatibility supported CPU list for that MOBO, there you may find with CPUs are supported.
!