Will a phenom x3 720be be backheld in gaming?Or is x4 a better option?

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I am building a budget gaming system.So a phenom x3 720 be better for gaming or an athlonx4 or phenom x4?Will there be any bottlenecking with a 5770 or 6870??I want to use this system until bulldozer comes in market.or may be 6 months more after the arrival of bulldozer..
How will games like crysis2,justcause2 run at 1680 resolution with a x3 720be?

Solution
The Phenom x3 720 will get you by fine for a bit with either of those graphics cards. When Bulldozer finally hits, if you decide your system isn't cutting it anymore, then you can upgrade and sell the unneeded parts off. Also, if you are looking to do a minimal investment until Bulldozer hits, nab a 5770, since it can run anything out now, and it wont be taxing on your budget. Just resell it too when its time to upgrade.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

i am really tired of waiting this bulldozer..soon i will start to beleive that there no such thing exists..http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/biggrin.gif

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
The Phenom x3 720 will get you by fine for a bit with either of those graphics cards. When Bulldozer finally hits, if you decide your system isn't cutting it anymore, then you can upgrade and sell the unneeded parts off. Also, if you are looking to do a minimal investment until Bulldozer hits, nab a 5770, since it can run anything out now, and it wont be taxing on your budget. Just resell it too when its time to upgrade.

Solution

randomkid

Distinguished
The Phenom II X3 720 will be better. But the problem is whether you can find it at all... Just get the Phenom II X4 955 if you can find it. It remains to be the best bang for buck if you are not willing to wait for Sandy Bridge.

There is something fishy going on, though. Phenom II X4 955 & 965 has been deactivated in newegg. What's up?

resolutions such as 600x480 and 800x600 are more cpu taxing, but anything over shouldnt be, if u have a decent tricore or quadcore, and certain higher end dualcores such as the intel c2d e8600 or 8500, which have alot of cache and helps with certain programs and games,

and the higher the resolution the more its gonna tax ur gpu, meaning ur gpu must pump out more power to accompany more pixels on ur screen,