Putting My Computer Together Getting Overwelmed Plz help

Adamm07x

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I just got all my components off newegg

Here is just a blunt list of the questions i have.

My Mobo Came with 2x sata cables 3gb/s. I bout 2 optical drives along with 1 hard drive. Since both my optical drives have sata as well as my hard drive i was wondering the following.

a) Will a sata 6bg/s cable work on a hard drive ment for sata 3gb/s *this way i can connect my hard drive via sata 6, and both optical drives with my sata 3.

b) will an optical drive work with sata 6bg/s cable and motherboard connection? (as of now i have one optical drive not plugged in. was wondering if there is a way that i can do this by switching either hard drive cables or optical drive cables, for example having one drive using only ide if it can for now)

c) Do you need to plug both ide and sata cables into an optical drive for it to function correctly

d) This is my first pci express card sapphire radeon 6850 *very excited* Both my modular PSU and my card came with a molex connector (i think) that i plug directly into the card i cannot find where i plug the other part into the mother board. (as of now i am using the power supply one, not the one that came with the GPU)

d) None of my Modular Power Suplly cables came with good labels for what they are and all of the cables look the same. How do i know i have corectly plugged everything in that i need to for my system.

e) Do my top audio and usb connecters need specific usb and audio slots or will any do?

Solution
a) Will a sata 6bg/s cable work on a hard drive ment for sata 3gb/s *this way i can connect my hard drive via sata 6, and both optical drives with my sata 3.

YES

b) will an optical drive work with sata 6bg/s cable and motherboard connection? (as of now i have one optical drive not plugged in. was wondering if there is a way that i can do this by switching either hard drive cables or optical drive cables, for example having one drive using only ide if it can for now)

YES

Sata 3.0 and 6.0ghz are interchangable, youll get the speed of the lowest speed device you have.

c) Do you need to plug both ide and sata cables into an optical drive for it to function correctly

Wait... you have SATA and IDE connectors on the same drive??

d)...

dknutson

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

YES

YES

Sata 3.0 and 6.0ghz are interchangable, youll get the speed of the lowest speed device you have.

Wait... you have SATA and IDE connectors on the same drive??

d) This is my first pci express card sapphire radeon 6850 *very excited* Both my modular PSU and my card came with a molex connector (i think) that i plug directly into the card i cannot find where i plug the other part into the mother board. (as of now i am using the power supply one, not the one that came with the GPU)

The power connector for the graphics card plugs direcly from the PSU to the graphics card. It does not plug into the motherboard. Consult the manual of your PSU for details on what connectors to use.

d) None of my Modular Power Suplly cables came with good labels for what they are and all of the cables look the same. How do i know i have corectly plugged everything in that i need to for my system.

Google is your friend, look up the PSU. Also, it came with a manual, right?

e) Do my top audio and usb connecters need specific usb and audio slots or will any do?

Do you mean the ones on the case? If so, then any of the USB headers on the mobo should work for the case USB connectors. Same with the audio, although I believe mobos only have 1 audio header on them.

--Dylan.

Solution

Adamm07x

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Well i'm sure that the optical dirves do have sata after a closer look it says sata power.

Yes i meant the case connectors for d)

My first time using a modular supply the instructions are in like 15 diff languages, only 2 pages that explains how to plug in four screws... rather than jumpers and other connections

*just realized i had to d's*
the 2nd d) about pcie yes the cable that i pluged into my GPU says PCI-E i didn't know if i have to plug something into the mobo as well (besides the graphics card Ofc)

dknutson

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Yes, can you post the mobo, graphics card, and PSU? Thanks.

OK, sure. If the optical has Sata, then be sure the sata data is plugged in. No matter which one, power must be plugged in. If it is IDE, use the ide.....

Yea, if your GC needs power strait from the PSU to run, then deff plug in the power connector that says PCI-E into it. It may have 1 or 2 of the power connector inputs, be sure all are plugged in.

Again, post your hardware so I can see what the specs are on it.

--Dylan

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
In pc cabling there's very little to do wrong: bassically if it fits it works(exept for the 2pin case connenction but those aren't essential anyways and are labbelled very well)

you need to plug in 6pin or6+2pin(whichever yours uses) power connecters into your 6850. Forget all the adapters you got with your 6850 just use the cables that come with the psu. Then plug in the those cables into the psu check the manual of the psu for where they need to go, but ussually there are already some 6pin/6+2pin cables coming out of the psu which can't be unplugged use those first.

Adamm07x

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
My only thing left that i need to install is the Case fans to the mobo which i am having a VERRRY hard time with. antec 900 has 4 default fans, and i'm not sure if i daisy chain them all together or plug individually all to the mobo or Power supply

My Mobo Documentation says that i have 4 fan slots, 3x 4 pin connectors and 1x 3 pin. they look just like the CPU fan Connector *to the mobo* but the plug on the fan is much different its double sided, with 4 holes. I"m really confused on what to do.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Have you tried just plugging your fans into the mobo? even though one of them only has 3 pins? It should work. If not you can also buy a cheap fan controller or a molex to fan 4pin adapter.

And the 24pin is there because there is nowhere else to put it. The entire bottom half of the mobo needs to be free for full length graphics cards. The 24 pin is ussually also to big to route to the top left behind your mobo panel because it's to big. And for the rest the only place you can put a cable where the cable doesn't go across the mobo is on the right in the middle just above the graphics cards

I have several Antec 900 cases. The case fans should be daisy chained together and plugged into the PSU. Set the fans on Low. In my case, running the fans faster did not improve cooling.

That doesn't really matter. Unmodded, the 900 lacks the holes down by the PSU to route the power cable under the motherboard tray.

I modded my cases for better cable management:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264112-28-antec