Upgrade question

rfxcasey

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hello, I currently have an AMD Kuma 7750 overclocked to 3.2Ghz. I am using 4 gigs of DDR2 memory capable of running at 1066 however I am running it at 800Mhz 5-5-5-15 timing as the general consensus seems to be there is no noticeable speed difference at 1066 with looser timing. I would like to upgrade my machine in anticipation of IL-2 Cliffs of Dover. I was considering upgrading my processor to a Phenom II 840 for around a $100 which has 2 more cores then the Kuma however lacks the L3 cache. Since both processors would be running at the same frequency I was wondering if this upgrade would be worth it. My current AM2+ motherboard will support AM3 processors but only up to 95W and I believe the 840 is the highest end quad core I can get with 95W.

The Kuma has 2 cores, 2 megs of 32way L3 while the 840 have 4 cores and no L3. Now I am fairly sure that the 840 will smoke the Kuma in multithreaded applications but I am wondering if I should expect any slowdown on older games like Unreal 3 or Dirt 2 for example. I am also concerned about single threaded applications like the original IL-2 Sturmovik. Keeping in mind both processors will be running the same frequency. I am also considering getting the fastest 95W AM2 quad I can get but don't really know what that would be and if they are even available anymore. I would prefer at this point to probably not get a whole new MB, Mem and processor. Thanks for any advice you can give. I will also be upgrading my video card to probably a GTX 560 ti in the next few weeks from my old 4830 card.

rfxcasey

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
840 with no L3 cache....
damn that, doesn't that make it an athlon ii x4 with a phenom ii name.?

Absolutely does, but that's ok cause I bought it and it runs like a top. IL-2 (which is extremely processor bound and single threaded) actually runs better than on my 7750 Kuma overclocked to 3.2Ghz which had 2Mb of L3 as it's actually a Phenom. You do have to take into consideration though that (and correct me if I am wrong) no Athlon to my knowledge uses the same core or cores as the 840 so I am sure there are improvements in the architecture that seem to make up the difference and then some. You can also check Passmark's CPU comparison chart http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ The 840 scores a decent 3,830 while the Kuma comes in at 1,569. Given the Kuma has 2 cores to the 840's 4 the 840 still more then double the processing power of the Kuma so for $110 I'd say it was a good upgrade seeing as I am using the same memory and motherboard.

I do understand however that the motherboard and chipsets used in the comparison will have a significant impact on benchmark scores but my experience with the 840 so far has been positive and I am sure the 2 extra cores will help in the upcoming Cliffs of Dover.

TRENDING THREADS