call of duty black ops
splinter cell conviction
battlefield bad company 2
gta 4

nfs hot pursuit,fifa 11, and black ops did not run smooth

i guess its for the processor

so i'm up for an upgrade

core i3 530 or amd athlon II X4 640?
is processor cache memory very important? or will 640 be able to take care of games for the next one year?

More about : corei3 amd athlon 640

a c 159 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 4:19:46 PM

The i3 is slightly faster when overclocked, but the 640 is no slouch. I would also look at 4 core phenom II's with the L3 cache; saw one used on craigslist for $80 recently.
m
l
March 1, 2011 4:36:15 PM

You can Go with Amd Phenom II x4 965 (Quad Core) instead of athlon 4. You need to pay $15 more than i3 but you can feel the performance.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2011 4:49:41 PM

o1die said:
The i3 is slightly faster when overclocked, but the 640 is no slouch. I would also look at 4 core phenom II's with the L3 cache; saw one used on craigslist for $80 recently.

near my place they sell athlon iix4 for $80 and phenom ii x4 955 for $170
i got only $90
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:03:39 PM

get the i3. its the better gaming CPU and I'm an AMD fan (although my loyalty is quickly fading)
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:06:36 PM

ubisoftblackbox said:
have a core 2 duo e7400
and hd 6850 1 GB

ran the following games:

fifa 11
nfs hot pursuit 2010
call of duty modern warfare 2
call of duty black ops
splinter cell conviction
gta 4

so i'm up for an upgrade

is processor cache memory very important? or will 640 be able to take care of games for the next one year?

Of-course Athlon ii x4 640

see yourself...i3 540 too loses in many benchmarks in front of athlon ii x4 635 also.....and you're planning to buy 640......it would be cheaper and wiser decision ... http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=122

but recommended is phenom ii x4 955, 965, 970 or 975 or else if your budget allows you then go for any of the hexcores

Phenom ii x6 1100t(be)
maybe its a lesser performer in front of Intel Core i7 980X(somewhat 25-30%)

but its way way too cheaper. $1050(i7 980x vs $280 x6 1100t)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=142
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:08:19 PM

ubisoftblackbox said:
have a core 2 duo e7400
and hd 6850 1 GB

ran the following games:

fifa 11
nfs hot pursuit 2010
call of duty modern warfare 2
call of duty black ops
splinter cell conviction
gta 4

so i'm up for an upgrade

Yes baby, all these games will run pretty smooth with maximum settings on..if you have a decent graphics card.

and you'll have advantage of having quad-core cpu(cuz gta 4 needs quad processor for smooth gameplay) :sol: 
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:09:17 PM

hey guys if he guys the athlon , doesn't that mean he's on average going to get a mother board that he could then upgrade to a phenom II ?

hey dude , think about that , pay attention to the mother board , because while you may only be able to afford to get an athlon today , if you get the right mother board you could pop in a much more powerfull processor by AMD further down the line .
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:09:24 PM

asiarules said:
Of-course Athlon ii x4 640

see yourself...i3 540 too loses in many benchmarks in front of athlon ii x4 635 also.....and you're planning to buy 640......it would cheaper and wiser decision ... http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=122

um....did you actually look at those benchmarks? the i3 beats the athlon II in almost everything but some video encoding synthetic benchmarks, the i3 wins all the gaming benchmarks.
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:17:21 PM

ct1615 said:
um....did you actually look at those benchmarks? the i3 beats the athlon II in almost everything but some video encoding synthetic benchmarks, the i3 wins all the gaming benchmarks.

$133-148(i3 540) vs $78-85(athlon ii x4 635) true quad advantage(extremely good for multi threaded applications

what would you expect more than this??

and above given benchmarks are of 635 not 640...

so?? what would you say now? :heink: 
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:22:14 PM

asiarules said:
$133-148(i3 540) vs $78-85(athlon ii x4 635) true quad advantage(extremely good for multi threaded applications

what would you expect more than this??

and above given benchmarks are of 635 not 640...

so?? what would you say now? :heink: 

1. i have the an athlon II, there is no true "quad core advantage". its gets spanked by any modern intel quad core and the phenom II.

2. the 635 and 640 have the exact same benchmarks and both still get spanked by the i3

so that is what I say, you have yet to prove the athlon II is better other then posting your opinion...one of a fool
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:27:18 PM

even Tom's agrees

The next product of interest is Intel's Core i3-530, a CPU that started out at $125 a few months ago. It seems that Intel has finally decided to compete with the lower-priced AMD models, and the Core i3-530 can now be had for $115. While this CPU does offer some great gaming performance for the dollar, its dual-core architecture (with Hyper-Threading) does show some weaknesses compared to true quad-core processors when multitasking. Even the Athlon II X3 445 demonstrates similar gaming performance when multiple applications are employed. Despite this, gaming performance is impressive enough and the price has gone down enough that the Core i3-530 cannot be ignored.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co...
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:28:36 PM

ct1615 said:
1. i have the an athlon II, there is no true "quad core advantage". its gets spanked by any modern intel quad core and the phenom II.

2. the 635 and 640 have the exact same benchmarks and both still get spanked by the i3

so that is what I say, you have yet to prove the athlon II is better other then posting your opinion...one of a fool

did you check my specs......you're not the only one with athlon ii x4(635 i own)
and in my office i have phenom ii x4 970

and first we are not comparing athlon with phenom.... phenom ii is much faster than athlon(in regards to gaming)

dont be an intel fanboy and check the stats first.

comparison is always by the ratio of performance and cost.

not for performance only...

otherwise everyone should've i7 980
:lol: 
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:30:14 PM

ct1615 said:
even Tom's agrees

The next product of interest is Intel's Core i3-530, a CPU that started out at $125 a few months ago. It seems that Intel has finally decided to compete with the lower-priced AMD models, and the Core i3-530 can now be had for $115. While this CPU does offer some great gaming performance for the dollar, its dual-core architecture (with Hyper-Threading) does show some weaknesses compared to true quad-core processors when multitasking. Even the Athlon II X3 445 demonstrates similar gaming performance when multiple applications are employed. Despite this, gaming performance is impressive enough and the price has gone down enough that the Core i3-530 cannot be ignored.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/Q/252926/original/AveragePerf.png
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co...

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18448/17

no one would care for i3 processors...why intel is lowering down its price cuz sandy bridge is out....people they would rather prefer to buy any of the phenom ii processors then i3 lol
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:32:38 PM

asiarules said:
did you check my specs......you're not the only one with athlon ii x4(635 i own)
and in my office i have phenom ii x4 970

and first we are not comparing athlon with phenom.... phenom ii is much faster than athlon(in regards to gaming)

dont be an intel fanboy and check the stats first.

comparison is always by the ratio of performance and cost.

not for performance only...

otherwise everyone should've i7 980
:lol: 

I own AMD CPUs, how would I then be an intel fan boy? please explain?
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:35:17 PM

ct1615 said:

Playing these games using a real video card (we used a Radeon HD 5670) gave a tiny advantage to the Core i3-530, but with only a four-percent performance difference between the two benchmarked CPUs, we are more inclined to say that both achieved the same performance level.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Athlon-II-X4-640...
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:36:31 PM

asiarules said:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/18448/17

no one would care for i3 processors...why intel is lowering down its price cuz sandy bridge is out....people they would rather prefer to buy any of the phenom ii processors then i3 lol

wow total fail by you. you posted a link to performance by dollar? I understand you are very stupid and fail to understand pure performance but most people have intelligence far above you. the OP asked which processor is better for gaming, not which processor is better for my dollar. he stated he can not afford a phenom II and nothing else. learn to read, then learn some PC knowledge, then perhaps your intelligence may go up...don't hold your breathe though
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:36:45 PM

ct1615 said:

that was just a comment... :bounce: 
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:38:23 PM

asiarules said:
Playing these games using a real video card (we used a Radeon HD 5670) gave a tiny advantage to the Core i3-530, but with only a four-percent performance difference between the two benchmarked CPUs, we are more inclined to say that both achieved the same performance level.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Athlon-II-X4-640...

the ATI 5670 is bottlenecked by both CPUs, do I really need to explain GPUs to you?
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:38:52 PM

asiarules said:
that was just a comment... :bounce: 

an incorrect one by the village idiot
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:43:39 PM

ct1615 said:

hahahaha me from a village lol..

dont be a cry baby

So moral of the story is it doesnt matter even if i3 is getting cheaper but its still expensive than any of the athlon ii x4 quads... choice is upto the buyer..

what he buys..let him decide.

and keep your gyaan(knowledge) with you... :D 

he would be doing research himself as well///

if he want 4% more faster cpu by spending $40-60 more than he can go for it.

it doesnt concerns me.... smart people they choose wisely ;) 
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:44:49 PM

ct1615 said:

btw how old are you?? 18-19yrs ?? :lol: 
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 5:54:28 PM

asiarules said:
btw how old are you?? 18-19yrs ?? :lol: 

older then you. why are you laughing like an idiot anyways? what if I was 18-19? I would still know more then you so how is that funny? You wonder why people think of you as the village idiot? maybe because you make no sense, type like a thirteen year old girl (the words are "you" and because" not "u" and "cuz") and make idiot laughing faces and bouncing smilies for no apparent reason.
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:05:13 PM

ct1615 said:
older then you. why are you laughing like an idiot anyways? what if I was 18-19? I would still know more then you so how is that funny? You wonder why people think of you as the village idiot? maybe because you make no sense, type like a thirteen year old girl (the words are "you" and because" not "u" and "cuz") and make idiot laughing faces and bouncing smilies for no apparent reason.

cry cry and cry....first of all you dont read anything carefully and then later try to show superiority of yourself.

It always better to keep away from likes of you.

Even if you're older than me you're still mentally equal to a small school going kid, and i am from a metropolitan city for your kind information and using "u" and cuz" saves all of us time not like you tend to type in each and every word(as if pretending others they dont understand) and moreover we are not writing a book here

using emoticons keeps our mood refreshing and light(i believe thats why tom has kept these here)

i dont know why dumb people like you dont understand such things and each time ask...pls elaborate/explain blah blah.

anyway its better to keep away from people like you, dumb gizmo wannabe enjoy yourself.

people like you ruin the mood and forums, so enjoy yourself and one more advice

put a signature there dont talk to me using "u" "cuz" etc because that will make you superior(according to you) and others villagers hahaha :lol: 
which part of US are you?? who knows you're gonna tell the right thing or not.

anyway enjoy yourself...i am out.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 6:07:46 PM

asiarules said:

anyway enjoy yourself...i am out.

you certainly are out of it, the rest of the garbage you posted is not english so I can't really reply to it.
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:10:07 PM

ct1615 said:
you certainly are out of it, the rest of the garbage you posted is not english so I can't really reply to it.

even a prep going kid can make sense out of it.

but you cant ...what a loser :lol: 
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 6:12:47 PM

asiarules said:
even a prep going kid can make sense out of it.

but you cant ...what a loser :lol: 

a prep kid can certainly attempt to correct if for all the grammatical errors you have in it..then again so can a second grader. I'm glad you enjoy your stupidity though. perhaps you will rid us of it as you keep telling us you are leaving.
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:18:58 PM

ct1615 said:
a prep kid can certainly attempt to correct if for all the grammatical errors you have in it..then again so can a second grader. I'm glad you enjoy your stupidity though. perhaps you will rid us of it as you keep telling us you are leaving.

read it carefully, i might have some typos but not grammatical errors, you see yourself, it being your first language you dont even know how to use punctuations.. :lol: 

at least i am not like you, i am into technical service industry and interact with 80-100 americans everyday, have good enough command in this language and i can speak more than 5different languages.

rest you keep dreaming :bounce: 
m
l
March 1, 2011 6:21:55 PM

And people like you cant even speak other languages like the way even mexicans they do(like the kind of english they speak)

m
l
March 1, 2011 6:22:21 PM

ciaoooooo mature a** and grow up with your age.

Taadah!! :kaola: 
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 7:18:24 PM

asiarules said:
ciaoooooo mature a** and grow up with your age.

Taadah!! :kaola: 
yeah, truly you are the mature one
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 1, 2011 7:21:51 PM

asiarules said:

at least i am not like you, i am into technical service industry and interact with 80-100 americans everyday, have good enough command in this language and i can speak more than 5different languages.

wow, i did not know the sex industry for talking dirty to old men was so lucrative. im sure the 5 cents an hour you are paid is well worth it. im glad you enjoy this job so much.
m
l
March 1, 2011 9:35:36 PM

ct1615 said:
wow, i did not know the sex industry for talking dirty to old men was so lucrative. im sure the 5 cents an hour you are paid is well worth it. im glad you enjoy this job so much.

loser get life for your self...
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 2, 2011 12:10:17 AM

i love how the truth always strikes a nerve....
m
l
March 2, 2011 1:14:47 AM

ct1615 said:
i love how the truth always strikes a nerve....

hey f*** face get life, :lol: 
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 2, 2011 1:33:17 AM

way to get yourself banned
m
l
March 2, 2011 4:30:22 AM

marquis said:
hey guys if he guys the athlon , doesn't that mean he's on average going to get a mother board that he could then upgrade to a phenom II ?

hey dude , think about that , pay attention to the mother board , because while you may only be able to afford to get an athlon today , if you get the right mother board you could pop in a much more powerfull processor by AMD further down the line .

yes i could easily get a phenom ii 955 later . right now i just want this athlon ii to run black ops,modern warfare 3 and crysis 2 and most probably shift 2 unleashed. thats it

athlon ii or i3 they both use cheap motherboards -and are both capable of supporting high speed processors like core i7 860 and phenom ii x6.in terms of future upgrade i guess i7 would definitely beat phenoms as well as core 2 quad q9650
m
l
March 2, 2011 4:34:04 AM

ubisoftblackbox said:
yes i could easily get a phenom ii 955 later . right now i just want this athlon ii to run black ops,modern warfare 3 and crysis 2 and most probably shift 2 unleashed. thats it

Good choice!! :bounce: 
m
l
March 17, 2011 7:38:53 AM

my god they were fighting insane
m
l
March 17, 2011 8:14:14 AM

manu 11 said:
my god they were fighting insane

lol :bounce:  :bounce:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 

yeah almost a month back, it happened and i thought this forum has been closed...lol but still alive and active :bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
March 17, 2011 12:54:56 PM

If Op is primarily using his pc for gaming then i3 the cpu he should buy.Even far cry 2 and dragon age runs better on i3.Those two games actually uses quad core cpu efficiently.

@Asiarules I agree with ct1615 that you are indeed a village idiot and have no clue about cpu.
m
l
!