My ASUS a7V333 doesn't see Samsung 1GB DDR RAM PC-2700 184-Pin DIMM

lomapur

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hello !

As in topic : I've recently bought this RAM, tried to install it but my motherboard can't see it, BIOS technically. It's plugged in correctly, so I don't know what's going on with it.. Compatibility issues ? Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance. :)

Problem as I assumed - "DS/SS mix i.e. 2x512 (SS) + 1x1GB (DS)" this is typically a no-no, so either 3x512MB or if possible 3x1GB. I say possible because the only info I have seen for your MOBO is the 3xDIMM slots, BUT many of those older MOBO's have a limit of 2GB or 2x1GB.

Once ASUS's site is back up I can review the manual.

Okay looking for 'odd' stuff:

1. If the RAM has more than 18 chips - it's not supported.

2. Rule-out bad stick and 'SPD' issues - try the following:
(a) CPU: | 1GB(1) | 1GB(2) | blank |
(b) CPU: | 1GB(1) | blank | blank |
(c) CPU: | 1GB(2) | blank | blank |

IF (b) and (c) work but not (a) then:
(d) CPU: | 1GB(2) | 1GB(2) | blank |

3. Do both the 512MB and 1GB have 'chips' on both sides?

red2001tj

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I too still run an A7V333, but the middle memory slot died a couple years ago. Perhaps you have a dead slot? I currently can run a max of 2GB:

1GB | blank | 1GB

Possibly and sure I've seen bad DIMM slots.

If the following fails then sure it's likely you have a bad DIMM slot.
CPU: | blank | 512MB | blank |

You can 'try' cleaning the DIMM slot: Use Isopropyl alcohol, dampen the RAM stick's contacts, fully insert in the DIMM slot with the moist RAM, remove, wipe-off, re-dampen and repeat then wipe-off and allow 5 minutes to fully dry. Re-install the RAM and cross your fingers.

lomapur

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
unfortunately, none of above fixes work for me, still not booting but I have no 'ram not detected' beep now..

512 has on one side, 1GB on both (16).

lomapur

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Could one of moderators delete this one and one of previous posts ? My Opera Mini froze and send that message twice :/