Sandy Bridge... How much better can it get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopeParty

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hey all I am planning on making a fairly robust build for processing large data sets, 3d imaging, as well as gaming ;@

My question for this community is it going to be worth the wait for Socket R processors. I am not in absolute need of a PC now so if the performance gain will be significant enough I can wait till the end of this calendar year.

Thanks in advance

In case it matters budget is really not important... thanks grants!

Solution
OP: Before this degenerates into an AMD vs. Intel slugfest, my advice is to wait to see how Bulldozer (Bob's uncle apparently :D) benches against the current Sandy Bridge mainstream CPUs such as the i7-2600K, and then wait for June and see how the performance SBs and the Ivy Bridge demo goes.

In case you're also interested in transcoding, and are considering the current SB rigs, see the Anandtech article "Lucid's Virtu Enables Simultaneous Integrated/Discrete GPU on Sandy Bridge Platforms". This lets you use the onboard GPU for transcoding while supporting discrete GPUs at the same time.

Actually, by "fairly robust build", I think the OP meant a high-end system, not an entry-level one with onboard GPU :p..

Also, you might be interested to read this article :

Slip-ups by a competitor are usually good for business, but Intel's recent problems with its Sandy Bridge chips won't help Advanced Micro Devices to steal market share from its bigger rival, according to IDC.

The delay of an upcoming AMD chip code-named "Llano," which was designed to compete with Sandy Bridge, has shut down AMD's window of opportunity to gain market share from Intel, said Shane Rau, a research director at IDC. The Llano chips, which were due early this year, have been delayed due to manufacturing issues and will not launch before the middle of this year.

Intel announced new Core i5 and i7 processors based on the Sandy Bridge architecture for high-end PCs in early January. But shipments hit a snag later that month when Intel found a design flaw in the 6-series chipset, code-named Cougar Point, that's used in PCs with Sandy Bridge processors. It halted shipments of the chipset, which prompted PC makers to delay systems and issue refunds. Intel fixed the issue and started shipping replacement chipsets on Feb. 14.

Looking to take advantage of Intel's chipset woes, AMD said Feb. 18 it would launch a new marketing campaign titled "Ready. Willing. And Stable." to promote its CPUs and graphics processors.

But such promotions won't make a difference to AMD's market share, Rau said.

AMD still has no equivalent to compete with Sandy Bridge microprocessors, which could ramp up to full shipments by early April, Rau said. AMD's current laptop and desktop chips compete with Intel's older Core i3, i5 and i7 chips, based on the Westmere architecture, which are still being shipped to PC makers. Most budget laptops in the market are still based on Intel's Westmere chips.

"I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of volume opportunity for AMD to steal," Rau said.

AMD lost market share to Intel in the fourth quarter last year, according to an IDC study due out Thursday. Intel had an 80.8 percent share of processors shippped, compared to 80.5 percent in the fourth quarter of 2009. AMD's market share shrank to 18.9 percent, from 19.5 percent the previous year. Overall microprocessor shipments in the fourth quarter stayed more or less flat, falling 0.21 percent from the year before.

Asus has already announced they are shipping replacement mobos as last week, so by the time Llano does ship, it might be too little, too late..

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

You game a lot on your workstation do you?

Hey all I am planning on making a fairly robust build for processing large data sets, 3d imaging, as well as gaming ;@

PopeParty

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah I make all purpose machines; all work and no play makes PCs a dull toy. :kaola:

OP: Before this degenerates into an AMD vs. Intel slugfest, my advice is to wait to see how Bulldozer (Bob's uncle apparently :D) benches against the current Sandy Bridge mainstream CPUs such as the i7-2600K, and then wait for June and see how the performance SBs and the Ivy Bridge demo goes.

In case you're also interested in transcoding, and are considering the current SB rigs, see the Anandtech article "Lucid's Virtu Enables Simultaneous Integrated/Discrete GPU on Sandy Bridge Platforms". This lets you use the onboard GPU for transcoding while supporting discrete GPUs at the same time.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.