Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC won't start: Power light flashes once only,no fan doesn't spin...

Last response: in Motherboards
November 4, 2011 6:17:03 PM

Hi,
My friends PC was not working few days back...nothing appeared on monitor. So he detached the RAM, cleaned it and attached it back. Then PC started, XP was loaded and suddenly PC went off. Now the PC doesn't start.
When we hit the power button light flashes for fraction of second and then it disappears. Switching it on doesn't affect the fans and there is no BEEP sound. And the Motherboard has the power LED ON.
So what can be the reason behind PC not starting?
PS: Its an ASUS motherboard.

Thanks ;) 

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 4, 2011 6:24:11 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Those are typically signs of a failing/failed PSU. So borrow your friend a PSU or try another one from a local store with a good return policy.

You can also try to Clear CMOS, here's a good video with several options and most ASUS have a CMOS Jumper; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0 ; ignore the MSI the principles and methods are universal.
November 4, 2011 7:40:07 PM

Oh well, Thanks for your quick response!!
Will tell him to clear CMOS and check, else will try a different PSU.
Thanks ;) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 4, 2011 7:47:16 PM

IF the 'new' PSU fails then let me know, or try to breadboard; here's a simplified breadboard:

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

Failure after bread board, 80% MOBO and 20% CPU.
m
l
November 11, 2011 5:24:12 PM

^Thanks.
Dunno much, but, he said a different motherboard works fine! Before i could visit his place, he got that working :D 
m
l
November 11, 2011 5:24:34 PM

Best answer selected by keval.
m
l
!