Canon G3 or S50?

Hi,Experts
I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
Size or weight is not a concern for me.
TIA for your help in deciding.
Tony
9 answers Last reply
More about canon

    Tony Hwang wrote:
    > Hi,Experts
    > I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    > My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    > her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    > Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    > Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    > TIA for your help in deciding.

    I'd vote for the G-3.

    --
    John McWilliams

    Get the G3. The benifit of being able to attach an external flash cannot be
    overstated.

    Eric Miller

    Tony,

    I suggest the Canon G3. I had a Canon G2 and upgraded to the Canon S50.
    Even though I gained a megapixel (4 to 5),
    I still feel the Canon G2 had a better lens and the pictures made from it
    were sharper. Other advantages of the G3 to the S50 are a longer lens
    (35-140mm vs. 35-105mm), adapters can be added to the G3 for wide angle or
    for more telephoto, and the "flip out and twist" LCD on the G3 is very
    useful. Both are excellent point-and-shoots.

    Don

    "Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,Experts
    > I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    > My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    > her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    > Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    > Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    > TIA for your help in deciding.
    > Tony

    "Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,Experts
    > I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    > My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    > her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    > Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    > Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    > TIA for your help in deciding.
    > Tony

    Nobody has asked you this question:

    Do you want it to fit in your pocket? If so, s50 is your choice

    If you wanted better that "good" pictures, and dont mind "lugging" a camera
    around go the G3.

    If you prefer taking high quality pictures and having lots of control and
    features is important, I would say choose neither and see if you can
    convince you daughter to get _you_ a DSLR while she's at the store :-)

    But here is my real advice:

    Take the S50 : play with it, see if you like it - see how important it is to
    have a compact

    If you discover (or re-discover) that its "all about the shot" and
    convenience and compactness are just far secondary or tertiary
    considerations, go the DSLR - you wont ever look back. The G3 will not
    compete with todays new DSLRs such as the 20D and who knows what new Nikons
    are around the corner.

    Musty <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

    > "Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> Hi,Experts
    >> I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    >> My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    >> her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    >> Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    >> Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    >> TIA for your help in deciding.
    >> Tony

    > Nobody has asked you this question:

    > Do you want it to fit in your pocket? If so, s50 is your choice

    > If you wanted better that "good" pictures, and dont mind "lugging" a camera
    > around go the G3.

    > If you prefer taking high quality pictures and having lots of control and
    > features is important, I would say choose neither and see if you can
    > convince you daughter to get _you_ a DSLR while she's at the store :-)

    > But here is my real advice:

    > Take the S50 : play with it, see if you like it - see how important it is to
    > have a compact

    > If you discover (or re-discover) that its "all about the shot" and
    > convenience and compactness are just far secondary or tertiary
    > considerations, go the DSLR - you wont ever look back. The G3 will not
    > compete with todays new DSLRs such as the 20D and who knows what new Nikons
    > are around the corner.

    I think the G3 is a great entry into digicams, It takes awesome pictures.
    I would start with the G3 and think about getting a DSLR+lens later.
    I own a G3 and a 10D + expensive lens and I can tell you the G3 is
    deficient in only three respects: A) Some purple fringing with the G3, B)
    comparatively low ISO on the G3 (anything above ISO 50 is useless), and
    C) shutter lag on the G3. The G3 has many manual controls that you can
    begin to use as you become more familiar with the camera.

    I bought my speedlite before I bought my 10D and used it with great
    satisfaction on my G3.

    Andrew

    Musty wrote:
    > "Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,Experts
    >>I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    >>My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    >>her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    >>Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    >>Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    >>TIA for your help in deciding.
    >>Tony
    >

    > Nobody has asked you this question:
    >
    > Do you want it to fit in your pocket? If so, s50 is your choice
    >
    > If you wanted better that "good" pictures, and dont mind "lugging" a camera
    > around go the G3.
    >
    > If you prefer taking high quality pictures and having lots of control and
    > features is important, I would say choose neither and see if you can
    > convince you daughter to get _you_ a DSLR while she's at the store :-)
    >
    > But here is my real advice:
    >
    > Take the S50 : play with it, see if you like it - see how important it is to
    > have a compact
    >
    > If you discover (or re-discover) that its "all about the shot" and
    > convenience and compactness are just far secondary or tertiary
    > considerations, go the DSLR - you wont ever look back. The G3 will not
    > compete with todays new DSLRs such as the 20D and who knows what new Nikons
    > are around the corner.

    Hi,
    Thanks everyone I'll get G3 then.
    When she upgrades again, I'll get her old DSLR, LOL.
    In my younger days I used to shoot a lot but not any more.
    Tony

    "Andrew" <andrew@nats.edu> wrote in message
    > Musty <musty@nospam.net> wrote:
    >
    > > "Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,Experts
    > >> I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    > >> My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    > >> her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    > >> Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    > >> Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    > >> TIA for your help in deciding.
    > >> Tony
    >
    > > Nobody has asked you this question:
    >
    > > Do you want it to fit in your pocket? If so, s50 is your choice
    >
    > > If you wanted better that "good" pictures, and dont mind "lugging" a
    camera
    > > around go the G3.
    >
    > > If you prefer taking high quality pictures and having lots of control
    and
    > > features is important, I would say choose neither and see if you can
    > > convince you daughter to get _you_ a DSLR while she's at the store :-)
    >
    > > But here is my real advice:
    >
    > > Take the S50 : play with it, see if you like it - see how important it
    is to
    > > have a compact
    >
    > > If you discover (or re-discover) that its "all about the shot" and
    > > convenience and compactness are just far secondary or tertiary
    > > considerations, go the DSLR - you wont ever look back. The G3 will not
    > > compete with todays new DSLRs such as the 20D and who knows what new
    Nikons
    > > are around the corner.
    >
    > I think the G3 is a great entry into digicams, It takes awesome pictures.
    > I would start with the G3 and think about getting a DSLR+lens later.
    > I own a G3 and a 10D + expensive lens and I can tell you the G3 is
    > deficient in only three respects: A) Some purple fringing with the G3, B)
    > comparatively low ISO on the G3 (anything above ISO 50 is useless), and
    > C) shutter lag on the G3. The G3 has many manual controls that you can
    > begin to use as you become more familiar with the camera.

    I was suggesting to start with the S50 since you can always keep it because
    it does something that a DSLR will never do - fit in your pocket. Regarding
    the my comment about the G3, I was comparing it to cameras like the 20D. I
    am not knocking the 10D - I have shot with it and I really liked the
    results. What I did not like about the 10D was that it was slow (for the
    money). It was slow to start-up, it was slow to AF (probably my biggest
    gripe) and frame rates were no faster than my P&S Oly C-5050Z. I believe
    that these issues made the 10D more consumer grade. Now the 20D, is still
    consumer grade, but _closer_ to pro-grade because of its speed ups. So what
    I am saying is that a G3 is not really comparable to "new" consumer DSLRs
    such as the 20D. Lets ignore the features of the 20D for a moment. If you
    just compare AF speed, noise and frame rates, the G3 is not even in the
    ballpark of the 20D. It should also not be in the ballpark of the 10D for
    noise. The sensor of the 20D is just too big and the electronics too fast.

    Please dont take this as any type of attack on the 10D. Believe me, 18months
    from now, some wiseguy with a 30?D will be giving me hell!! Its just that
    the 20D is the first affordable DSLR that behaves like an SLR should behave
    (except for that darned FOV crop!).

    Let me ask you. With your 10D + expensive lenses, what application does the
    G3 serve. I ask this because before having my 20D, I sold my C-5050 and have
    not missed it. What I would like now is a Canon SD300 - something to carry
    in my pocket when the 20D is just not practical. What I am saying is:

    DSLR + compact : makes sense (they each fill a gap the other doesnt have
    DSLR + prosumer P&S : not a really useful package IMHO

    << From: John McWilliams jpmcw@comcast.net
    Date: Wed, Jan 19, 2005 9:16 AM

    Tony Hwang wrote:
    > Hi,Experts
    > I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    > My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    > her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    > Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    > Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    > TIA for your help in deciding.

    I'd vote for the G-3.

    --
    John McWilliams

    Ditto on the G3.

    >> I am retired guy who is total newbie into digicam.
    >> My daughter who is photo nut says I can have either one from
    >> her since she moved upto DSLR lately.
    >> Which one should I pick? I understand they are both nice cameras.
    >> Size or weight is not a concern for me.
    >> TIA for your help in deciding.
    >> Tony
    Here's another thing to consider - Do you like to add a flash to a hot shoe? I
    don't think the S50 has a hot shoe. You're limited to the in-camera flash.
    The G3 has a hot shoe.
    Lynn

Photo Canon Cameras