Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hi all,

I have just build a system

Phenom 965
asus m4a88t-m
1600mhz corsair dominator memory 2x2gb
wd5000aaks hdd

The problem is i am having problems putting a operating system on for the first time.

It takes a few times to load the disk and keeps rebooting once it gets to the windows 7 logo before the install

i put in the motherboard disk and installs the items then i put in the operating system and it seems to work, but then it gets to the extracting windows files on the install and then pops up saying boot manager is missing press ctr,alt,del to restart.

I have never had this problem before but i have noticed that the jumper for the bios is on the clear rtc (2,3) not the default (1,2).

do you think this could be the problem or something else.

Any ideas will be great

Thanks

Solution
The rams are fine, just that your mobo can't swallow them :D...and that fault is entirely on your e-tailer. Tell them you've spoken to asus support and they confirmed it isn't supported by your mobo...Phone call (to dispatcher) : So its YOUR fault...now gimme what i want!!!

*as i recall them sending something you didn't order, apart from the company badge.
:lol:

HEY, we're here to help bro! PM me if you'd need anything + don't forget to choose best answer.

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hi thanks for the reply but i have now tried three different sata cables and all six sata ports and it is still the same.

I have tried installing windows 7 and windows xp pro and neither of them will install.

With windows seven it goes all through the process up into it starts installing, it gets to extracting windows files gets to 100% and the screen goes blank, now sometimes it just stops black and the system still runs but nothing else happens.

The other times it gets to extracting files and at about 60% it reboots and then says bootmgr not sound pls restart.

I can see all my drives in post and on bios but i am running out of ideas now.

Do you have any other ideas

Thanks

**update**

Ok i have tried another hard drive and still no luck and i have borrowed a copy of vista to try and does the same.

i have removed my gtx460 and just using the on board gpu but still no change. i know the optical drive reads the disks fine as it would not start the install.

So i am down to the last two things the motherboard and the memory.

I had doubts that this memory was compatible but been told on another post on toms hardware that the memory will work fine and the motherboard is running as it should and showing all details if that helps.

One thing about the memory, this board takes 1333mhz ddr3 into overclocking starts, but the memory is 1600mhz.

I have got a memok button on the motherboard and not yet used it as i didnt think i would need to as the dram light goes off and does not stay red.

Any ideas

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
What version of win7 are you trying to install? x64 or x86?

The other times it gets to extracting files and at about 60% it reboots and then says bootmgr not sound pls restart.

I can see all my drives in post and on bios but i am running out of ideas now.

did you try another ODD, could be the lense can't read form the media

With windows seven it goes all through the process up into it starts installing, it gets to extracting windows files gets to 100% and the screen goes blank, now sometimes it just stops black and the system still runs but nothing else happens.

then give it some time, i remember my copy of win7 x64:)D) took some time just to gather data from the disk...I did a hard reboot in fear that it was glitchy mobo/ODD/sata but on the second attempt, i decided to make coffee and check up later...oh , 15 mins...and the installer was underway.

One thing about the memory, this board takes 1333mhz ddr3 into overclocking starts, but the memory is 1600mhz.
whenever purchasing ram always run it throught the manufacturing boards QVL and if the rams aren't in that list, don't buy it...that being said - your board is doing an underclock, your rams are 1600MHz but the board supports ram natively @ 1333Mhz. I have a Maximus III Formula, the MemOK button reduces latencies for high frequency rams...give it a try...

No offence, but are you sure your PSU has enough juice for the whole rig? could be its underpowering most of the components or just can't give power to all of them at once.

check this link out - http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4306-vista-can-t-boot-bootmgr-is-missing

Lutfij

Titan

^ the manual states it

@ OP - turn to section 1.9, 1-19 and you'll know what the jumper does

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=M2N-SLI+Deluxe&id=20090120220351424&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

similar problem with dif mobo...but note that he uses a WD drive for his OS install

another thread to follow - and may solve your problem -
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5QC&id=20090916135931125&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
read sharons post...and the process

Summary:
Boot pririty should be ODD/DVD>HDD1(OS)>HDD2(data) during OS isntallation
after instalation
Boot Priority should be HDD1(OS)>HDD2(data)>ODD

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
windows 7 version is x64.

No i have no tried another odd as yes but should with in the next hour.

I will try again once i have got the odd and if it goes blank i will leave for a while but left up to about 10 mins in total an still nothing.

I did go by the qvl but they sent out a alternative memory as they was out of stock.

Memory

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-(2x2gb)-corsair-dominator-ddr3-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-dhx-18v(amd)

This is what they said they was sending out but....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-288-CS

this is what i got.

They are both the same model but the one that is at overclockers has a newer heat spreader.

I ordered all my items from scan.

I set a post up...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=300105&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

The psu is a xfx 650w core edition with 53a on a single +12v rail so more than enough.

I will read your second post in a few mins.

**edit** ok read the post about the serial controller and will try this in a few mins as well as the other odd, for some reason it wont open the second link.

My boot priority is set as 1st is odd and 2nd is hdd 3rd is something else that i think is floppy.

I will get back soon after trying the odd and the serial controller.

Thanks for the help so far lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
This link failed?
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5QC&id=20090916135931125&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
* Post # 3 is Sharon's post

Hmmm - more than enough power - agreed

can you get a refund for the rams? I can post a selection with amd modules on amazon.co.uk but it'll cost a tad bit more :)

Thanks for the help so far lutfij
thank me after the issue is resolved...

EDIT - Found this OCZ AMD Black Edition for ya - would go with your 965BE :na: and an OCZ Gold AMD low voltage edition

from overclocker.co.uk: Patriot Viper 4GB

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
all the setting in bios for the sata is correct, i tried a different odd and still nothing.

The memory seems fine to be honest, i have got a dram light on the motherboard that comes on if there is any problems, it comes on at first and then goes off as it should, it shows all the memory in bios and voltages are fine.

i have got another computer and i am going to put the hdd in there and see if it installs windows if it does at least i can narrow it down a bit, but i am still stuck to y it wont load windows on to the hdd. do you think it will help if i took a memory stick out and just tried it with one stick.

Dont think i can get a refund for the memory if afraid

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
This can only be ruled down to mobo if the rams(as you say) check out to be fine

Use all your parts on the other rig...one by one and rule the possibilty of error, out

ram
HDD
ODD
PSU
CPU+mobo

the mobo is my hunch...gotta be!

did you already put the jumper on default?
that has nothing to do with installing os...the jumper clears out ram timings...another instance of the MemOK button.

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hi all i tried the memok button but still no luck, its my mistake but the jumper is on default, just a bit hard to see with a gtx460 in the way.

In the end i sorted it and got windows installed.

I did start to think that it was my mobo as it was the only thing i could think of but i thought i would have a last go before i started to put the parts in the other system. i removed one of the memory modules and ran the install as that and it worked first time.

But now i only have 2gb in the system rather than 4gb.

In my system i have 2 black slots and 2 blue slots.

blue slots are a1 and b1

black slots are a2 and b2

The memory was installed in a1 and b1 both blue as the manual stated but not just got one stick in a1.

Do you know what could be causing this do you think i should try a1 and a2 one blue and one black.

I can start a new thread on this as this is in the new build but that is still what it is lol.

Just want to say thanks for all you help and time lutfij, you have been great.

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
sorry mate i dont understand what you mean or its me not reading it right lol.

your saying dont try a1 b1 option and i am ment to run them in a1 and a2 or b1 and b2.

but then you said this time use the ram in a2 b2, but thats different to what you said above ( a1/a2 or b1/b2)

am i reading it wrong.

very tired mate today up late trying to sort the system

**edit**

The manual states:

supports one pair of Modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of dual-channel memory configuration, and thats what i read.

so is this wrong then

Lutfij

Titan
lol , i'll re post my post :D

I'm messed up right now, I live in Bangladesh and its 4:30 am here...haven't slept yet

insert ram modules as:

insert 1 ram stick:

first a1 only
second a2 only
third b2 only and
finally b2 only

then run the rams in dual channel:
first in a2 b2 then
second in a1 b1

that clear?

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
lol yes mate think so. i have 2 sticks of 2gb.

so as one stick is a1 now put the other in a2 so one in black and one in blue.

**edit**

i just looked at the quick start guide and it states dual channel in a1 b1 or a2 b2

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
ok i have one in at the moment so i will take it out and try the other one.if that works i will try the black slots and let you know what happens. thanks

**edit** both the black slots are a2 b2 and the blue slots are a1 b1 just to confirm.

*****no no, don;t try a1 b1 option, your supposed to run them in either a1 a2 or b1 b2.

This points to an error in the rams/mobo ram slots. This time use the rams in slots a2 b2.*****

Lutfij

Titan
:lol: yeah i know, i read all the posts to jog my mind**Phenom II 965 be
Asus M4A88T-M AM3
Wd5000aaks 500gb hdd
Antec 902
x2 tricool fans
XFX 650w core power ltd edt psu 53a single +12v rail
Asus gtx460 1gb
liteon optical dvd/rw sata drive**...its 4:00 pm here :) i'm WIDE awake :D

^ that post was before you told me: "the guide states rams can run in dual channel mode in both blue or black slots." so scratch that.

i said that cos on my Asus Maximus III Formula board i can't run 4GB dual channel rams in a2 b2 slots but in a1 b1 slots
board01.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
OK, can you post the model number for your rams? Here's what i'll do, I'm going to check it up with the QVL on Asus's site for the rams.

EDIT:
is it this?
Corsair Dominator 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMD4GX3M2A1600C9) [CMD4GX3M2A1600C9]

I checked and double double checked your^ ram model number ^with the mobo's Qualified Vendor List (QVL) ; get this, Corsair's aren't even mentioned in the DDR3 1600MHz list...so you need a ram swap asap! everything else is fine...the rams are conflicting.

I noticed there was something fishy with Asus reporting this: "The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 1866(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest operation system, 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications." a straight jump from 1333MHz to 1866MHz ... then it hit me...the QVL shows a handfull of mem supported at 1600MHz. SO your mobo is fine...the rams - by bye

boden08

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
yes that is my memory, i tried the other memory module and it boots so i tried them both and does not boot. tried in blue slots and tried in black slots.

so y do you think they will be conflicting. i am speaking to someone at asus and some one had the same problem but it was something to do with the voltages but these are 1.65v.

is there anything i can check in the bios speed cas voltage, i tried to look bit could not find any info as anything to do with memory is all auto

Lutfij

Titan
no reread my post ^ and it sez it all. IF it ain't in the QVL that means that particular set of rams weren't tested or were tested and aren't mean't to be running on it.

Confusion about 1.65V
Only intel had the problem when their core i series chips needed no more than 1.65V...it'd burn the Memory controller/cause instability. AMD however did not issue this news of needing ram @ 1.65V rather you can run it @ 1.9V with no furballs.

The rams are conflicting with the mobo...if you swap your rams to a 1333MHz kit, you'll be flying off with an OS install.

Status
Not open for further replies.