Sign in with
Your question

New GPU makes HDMI display letterbox

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 9, 2010 11:19:45 PM

I just installed a new Radeon HD 5870 to replace my HD 4890. Before I was running two monitors fine out of the box (one is 1920x1080, the other 1680x1050)

When I first powered on my PC, both screens were cloned and in something like 800x600 resolution. I downloaded and installed the latest (10.9 I believe) Catalyst drivers and after rebooting, my secondary display (DVI) appears to be fine but my main (HDMI) seems to be stuck in letterbox mode. The Catalyst Control Center shows that it's in 1080p mode @60hz but everything looks a bit smaller and there is a ~1inch black border all the way around. Any ideas? Thanks.

TL;DR: New GPU (HD 5870) makes HDMI display letterbox and DVI fine.

EDIT: I plugged my secondary display's DVI into the primary instead of HDMI and everything is normal. I intend on using 1x HDMI and 2x DVI though, so I need HDMI to work correctly!
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 12:41:09 PM

So has the problem been resolved?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 2:54:26 PM

"TL;DR: New GPU (HD 5870) makes HDMI display letterbox and DVI fine.

EDIT: I plugged my secondary display's DVI into the primary instead of HDMI and everything is normal. I intend on using 1x HDMI and 2x DVI though, so I need HDMI to work correctly! "

The OP if you didn't notice has edited the question he put .....

Read again, he says " Everything is Normal"......
So that why the question, no use directing him to other links .... :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 3:04:51 PM

So he is just doing with his DVI for the time being.
Is his HDMI issue(1x HDMI,2x DVI) solved? No. and that is why the thread is created.

okay lets solve it here only.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 3:32:02 PM

Well here's a quote from an addict......
" I've seen a couple of things suggesting that the hdmi and dvi's are mutually exclusive, at least 1 of them is (while using eyefinity).

You can pair the hdmi with 1 dvi, or have both dvi's (and the displayport ofc) while using eyefinity. You can't run eyefinity on both dvi's and 1 hdmi though."

So that means you can either use 1 X HDMI with 1X DVI or you can use 2xDVI's
You can't use three of them together unless you're using a Display Port with an Active DP Adapter.

But as I can see you're using just 2 Displays so that shouldn't be the problem.

It would be Easier to set you Primary display as the HDMI Monitor which is at 1080p
and the DVI Monitor as the earlier 1050 one.

Recheck resolutions of both Monitors and Identify them.
You could have mixed the settings up in the Display Panel too, recheck that as well.
And give us a feedback.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 3:40:07 PM

Quote:
So that means you can either use 1 X HDMI with 1X DVI or you can use 2xDVI's
You can't use three of them together unless you're using a Display Port with an Active DP Adapter

Okay then how'd u explain a triple monitor display(although the OP is concerned on dual monitor display).Will it be either all 3 hdmi or all 3 dvi nd on.... only?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 3:59:56 PM

Triple Monitor displays work with the Display Port it's that funny looking socket behind the card for which they never seem to bundle and adapter.
The Active display adapter coverts or has a Display port PLUG and either one or two or more other SOCKETS eg. DVI.
Although Sapphire has come out with one of it's own ones but they didn't bundle it with their card atleast not a year ago, don't know about now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 4:03:42 PM

And it'll all be DVI's The last setup I saw of Eyefinity was with 24 Monitors...... :) 
One PC
4 GPU's
Each Supporting 6 Monitors through the Mini HDMI adapters
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 4:42:51 PM

:ouch: 
I don't wanna hear abt d PSU thn lol
m
l
October 18, 2010 3:25:34 AM

Hey sorry for some reason I didn't get any "answer received" emails until today, a week after the last post. However, to resolve the problem all I had to do was set either overscan or underscan to 0% in CCC. I have since bought a Display Port adapter and am using 1x HDMI 1x DVI and 1X DPA successfully. Thanks for the suggestions.
m
l
!