ART_Adventure

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I have an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe motherboard, a Samsung hard disk, an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, and an LG Blu-Ray Writer.

I am suddenly experiencing an issue that I did not experience before. The issue is that my computer randomly (it seems) disconnects all devices from my PC (hard drives and CD-Roms). I know this because while running Windows 7 (64-Bit, Ultimate) my PC will suddenly freeze and stagger, though allowing me enough time to access My Computer, which shows all devices as missing, including my primary hard drive. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, I receive a message saying something like "Error message Failure security". The system will crash after a while (BSOD), unable to dump a crash log, and on restarting I will receive the BootMgr is missing error.

Multiple restarts will not fix the issue, as my PC will continue failing to recognise my hard drives and failing to boot. On entering the BIOS, I will see different devices listed- it varies each time: sometimes only my CD-Drive, sometimes only my secondary drive, sometimes both etc. If I switch off the PC, and then back on after a few minutes, it might recognise all the devices again, or only some of them. In order to 'correct' the issue, I must wait long enough or restart enough times until the primary hard drive (the SSD) is recognised and appears in the BIOS so that I can set it as the primary boot option.

This error will then repeat itself at some later time, either hours later or days later, seeminly at random. If there is a pattern, I do not know what it is.

Can anybody help me regarding this. Thanks in advance.

ART_Adventure

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have the latest firmware 1.35 for the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

The problem still occurs: that is, the system randomly crashes. After this, the motherboard BIOS seems to detect some or different devices (hard drives and CD-Drives etc.) on each power-on/power-off. Though it seems to detect all devices successfully again if the computer is powered-off for 'long enough', though this still requires me to ammend the boot sequence in the BIOS, as it seems to reset back to a default once it detects that a boot device is missing or removed.

Anybody have any suggestions? I am not very knowledgeable regarding hardware, unfortunately.

Does this sound like a faulty motherboard? Or could there be some other component or problem that could cause this issue?

... I must wait long enough or restart enough times until the primary hard drive (the SSD) is recognised and appears in the BIOS so that I can set it as the primary boot option.
This description of yours points to the OCZ Vertex 2 SSD as the culprit.

It appears you're not the only one suffering from the problem. You should contact OCZ and see if they can resolve your problem

Check the OCZ Support forum here and you'll see the same symptoms described by many:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?92718-For-all-people-with-Vertex-2-LE-BSOD-%280xF4%29-%28not-related-to-sleep-hybernation