Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Graphics Card and PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 10, 2010 12:26:52 AM

Hello. I'm looking into buying my first graphics card and PSU (because I'd like to play Mass Effect, but the game is giving me an error message which seems to be related to my graphics card) and I was curious if this would work out.

Currently, from what I can tell, I have this (from 2006):
EMachines T6414
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 1.99 GHz
Motherboard: Micro-Star MS-7184
RAM: 2.50GB RAM (2.37GB usable) DDR PC3200 (200 MHz)
Graphics: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (PCI-Express) 128MB DDR shared video memory
Hard Drive: 160GB HDD (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Power: Bestec 300W ATX-300-12E Rev: D
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

This is what I'm interested in obtaining, from Amazon.com:
Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 PCI-Express Graphics Card 100287L
Antec Earthwatts 430 Watt Power Supply ATX12V PSU EA-430

Would that work out alright?

More about : graphics card psu

a c 236 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 1:17:31 AM

if the card is a ver 2.0(rather then 2.1) it will work since you have a PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot but really you need a new CPU, mobo, and RAM along with the PSU and video card.
October 10, 2010 1:19:01 AM

You are going to want to get a better computer soon, you will have a Bottleneck most definitally.... The PSU may be a bit small, 500 is better.
Related resources
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 1:21:00 AM

the antec earwatts is plenty of power for the ATI 5670, in fact it has as many amps on its 12v as most solid 500w units.
October 10, 2010 1:28:40 AM

ct1615 said:
if the card is a ver 2.0(rather then 2.1) it will work since you have a PCI-E 1.0 x16 slot but really you need a new CPU, mobo, and RAM along with the PSU and video card.


I was interested in this deal, because I thought $65 for the 5670 was too good to pass up
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...

That says it uses a PCI-Express 2.1 x16 bus interface.
So, it wouldn't work?
a c 236 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 1:49:02 AM

same card, same price, same performance, 2.0 version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

amazon has it also but lists it as 2.1 (most likely a mistake*)
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...

tigerdirect lists it as 2.0
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

and of course the sapphire web site is worthless since it does not list cards by version number....


edit. it is a mistake. if you look on the box the label states "PCI- Express 2.0"
October 10, 2010 1:54:08 AM

ct1615 said:
same card, same price, same performance, 2.0 version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

amazon has it also but lists it as 2.1 (most likely a mistake*)
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph...

tigerdirect lists it as 2.0
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

and of course the sapphire web site is worthless since it does not list cards by version number....


edit. it is a mistake. if you look on the box the label states "PCI- Express 2.0"



Thanks a lot!
October 10, 2010 1:58:06 AM

Atotalnoob said:
You are going to want to get a better computer soon, you will have a Bottleneck most definitally.... The PSU may be a bit small, 500 is better.


The PSU ct1615 recommended is more than enough... A 5670 is like 61 TDP. I run the same video card that the op is looking at on Dell 350w psu perfectly fine.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 2:07:24 AM

You could save a bit of money by going for an HD4670. I doubt you would notice a difference with that processor.
October 10, 2010 2:08:07 AM

jyjjy said:
You could save a bit of money by going for an HD4670. I doubt you would notice a difference with that processor.

+1
October 10, 2010 2:18:48 AM

jyjjy said:
You could save a bit of money by going for an HD4670. I doubt you would notice a difference with that processor.


Actually, the cheapest HD4670 on Amazon is also $65 (the same price)
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-HD4670-PCI-Expres...

It's a 1GB HD4670 though, while the HD5670 is 512MB. It's an older card, but with twice as much memory, would that make it more powerful?
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 3:30:49 AM

The amount of memory on these cards doesn't matter at all. They aren't really powerful enough to make use of more than 512mb so the 1gb are basically just a marketing gimmick.
There are HD4670s available slightly cheaper elsewhere but with the difference so small I guess it doesn't really matter.
October 10, 2010 10:02:11 PM

He'd be bottlenecked, anyway, so a 4670 would be fine...
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 2:17:15 AM

True but the difference in price these days is about $5 it seems so whatever.
October 11, 2010 10:19:16 PM

lol true, but he could keep it and put it into a newer computer, if he buys one.
!