Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pc won't start

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2010 7:46:41 PM

Well, I bought a new heatsink for my pc. Had to take out the motherboard to install it. So I, being the idiot that I am, decided to take it out with no prior experience. So I got it out and realized the new heatsink wouldn't fit. Awesome. So I put the motherboard and everyhing back in. After some problems, I got the pc to start. Then after a couple minutes it froze up. After a few more, it shut down. So I turned the power strip off in back and let it sit for a while. Now, when I turn the strip back on, all he LED lights come on and the fans spin. This normally happens on my Dell xps 720, but only for about one second. Once it stops, the pc itsf can be turned on. The problem now is it doesn't stop. The fans keep spinning and the lights stay on, and the pc power button does nothing. I'm at a loss for what to do now. Would appreciate any help whatsoever. Thanks.

More about : start

a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2010 8:44:25 PM

welcome newcomer!

Have you checked if the rams have been properly seated? take them out and seat them again - with the case lying flat on the ground.
m
l
December 4, 2010 8:52:39 PM

Already tried - took it out, and turned on the power strip. Same thing happened. Put it back in, same thing happened. :( 
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2010 10:13:55 PM

Tried resetting the BIOS, checked all the connections etc. I'm thinking its something silly and simple that I missed - or hoping at least. At the same time I'm kind of worried something shorted, though the fact that it turned on twice earlier, and that everything turns on when the power strip goes on, goes against that theory.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2010 6:34:41 AM

Quote:
So I got it out and realized the new heatsink wouldn't fit. Awesome. So I put the motherboard and everyhing back in.
did you just reseat the stock HSF with the TIM leftover under the HSF or did you really put new TIM between CPU and HSF?

if you're PC is going through a short, then as a matter of fact it won't start up at all...just have the lights on to indicate power is being fed to your mobo

EDIT -
Quote:
Now, when I turn the strip back on, all he LED lights come on and the fans spin. This normally happens on my Dell xps 720, but only for about one second. Once it stops, the pc itsf can be turned on. The problem now is it doesn't stop. The fans keep spinning and the lights stay on, and the pc power button does nothing.
This is evident of a ram problem.
reseat the rams on different slots this time...and make sure if your running a dual channel kit, that they are running in dual channel slots - e'g black /blue slots - identify it through your mobo manual.

Still won't work, get an eraser, take the rams, rub the gold contacts with the eraser...and pop them back in.
m
l
December 5, 2010 9:49:46 PM

On the first bootup attempt I was using the leftover TIM, but quickly realized that was a horrible idea and applied new TIM.

I just tested all the RAM individually on a different PC. They all were picked up by the PC with no problems. I also tried all of them individually on the broken PC, with no success. At this point, I really think the motherboard is broke. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can attempt to test this though.
m
l
December 5, 2010 11:57:34 PM

Make sure all fan connections have been put into the motherboard.... there might be one with 4-prongs not connected, check for that near the CPU socket since the fan from the CPU plugs into this small 4-prong port.

Is there anything coming up on your screen? Or is it just blacked out now and not showing a picture?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2010 4:45:20 AM

Agnarok35 said:
On the first bootup attempt I was using the leftover TIM, but quickly realized that was a horrible idea and applied new TIM.

I just tested all the RAM individually on a different PC. They all were picked up by the PC with no problems. I also tried all of them individually on the broken PC, with no success. At this point, I really think the motherboard is broke. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can attempt to test this though.

the mobo's having a short, cos the LED's are lit up - but won't start. there's a short somewhere.

LAST option - breadboard all the components, but use the essentials.If all of this has failed, RMA the board...warranty ended, get a new board.
December 6, 2010 10:19:15 PM

Its just blacked out. Ive tried a different GPU just in case I just haven't been getting a video display, but no dice. Everything is definetly hooked up correctly at this point.

Looks like I'll be getting a new board, or maybe building a new PC, as this one is starting to get a bit old for gaming. Thanks for the help.
m
l
December 16, 2010 11:29:58 PM

Best answer selected by Agnarok35.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2010 6:38:17 AM

PM me of the thread that you'll have started for the new build/new mobo recommendation.
m
l
!