ventuviper

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi everyone,

Need some advise on a laptop for my wife. She wants to use it for games, but really only plays a few like World of Warcraft and some flash type games. We are looking at a Sony VPCEC490X configurable laptop, but not sure if the i7 will be worth the extra $250 for a game like WoW. The reason for the Sony laptop over any of the others is mostly the keyboard layout as she really likes the bigger arrow keys and most of the laptops that promote themselves as gaming laptops have really small arrow keys.

The video card I have decided on for it is the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 GPU (1GB VRAM) compared to the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 GPU (512MB VRAM).

The 3 processors I can choose from are:

Intel® Core™ i5-480M processor (2.66GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz
Intel® Core™ i5-580M processor (2.66GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz
Intel® Core™ i7-640M processor (2.80GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.46GHz

Thanks

Solution
You wont see much of a difference between those chips for the type of games you've mentioned. Save the extra money and get either of the i5s, they will be plenty fast enough and will give longer battery life. Your money is better spent upgrading the graphics card or adding more RAM. Are there other video card options?

festerovic

Distinguished
You wont see much of a difference between those chips for the type of games you've mentioned. Save the extra money and get either of the i5s, they will be plenty fast enough and will give longer battery life. Your money is better spent upgrading the graphics card or adding more RAM. Are there other video card options?

Solution

ventuviper

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Unfortunately with Sony they only have those 2 video card options. I am not 100% set on going with Sony, but the keyboard is the biggest deciding factor for her right now with the arrow keys so if anyone has a suggestion of another laptop that can customize a bit more I am all ears.

artra

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

Well, what's the meaning of those numbers .. 480M .. 630M .. looks important .. what does it do? memory? for what?

thanks a lot cjl