Sign in with
Your question

Best Graphic solution for X48 Mobo (Rampage Formula)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2010 1:42:29 AM

Hello to all.

A friend of mine has a Rampage Formula (X48); he had a GTX260 with it. He has now bought 2 x GTX460 in the hope of a huge upgrade. Unfortunately X48 Mobo's and SLI don't mix, as I found out when he brought them by for me to assemble (and yes, I know about the "Russian" solution: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=r...). I find this extremely erratic and a very messy "Hail-Mary" solution (that seldom works).

My question, since I can keep the GTX460's for me:

-What is the best graphic solution for a Rampage Formula (Crossfire/5970/any nVidia solution)?

Thanks in advance for your attention.
a c 169 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 5:50:00 AM

Hello
Well,HD 5970 will definitely give a huge boost over a GTX 260,so if he can afford it,then its the best option.
Related resources
a c 169 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 9:50:34 AM

Yep,2 5850s are also another great choice and will perform pretty much like 1 5970.
October 10, 2010 5:57:47 PM

Thanks for your advice. So, the Rampage Formula has native support for Crossfire? I, in the last few years have only worked with nVidia cards, so am a little rusty on ATI/AMD...
I'm just mad he didn't talk to me before buying the cards, since now I will only pay him 150 Euros for each (which he bought 200).

@ jyjjy - Looks like a good solution, unfortunately I will not be OC'ing them -since they are not for me. How well do you think they perform without OC?

@ Maziar - I printed him your magnificent article on SLI/CF, it helped greatly to explain why he could not have SLI on that mobo - so he either goes CF, buys a new SLI ready Mobo/CPU/DDR3, or keeps his old system with one of his nVidia cards (GTX260 or GTX460?).

Just one question on your article: Will 5970 CF with 5850/5870? Some of the squares on the graphic are red and have dots (.), others are just red - does that have any relevance? Do all the interconnecting red scares Crossfire with no probs?

Thanks for your attention and help and attention.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 8:17:27 PM

They will perform well even without an OC(very slightly weaker than the HD5970) but overclocking video cards is easy and those cards can overclock a huge amount, often up to 1ghz from the stock speed of 725mhz so it would be a shame not to overclock them.
a c 169 U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 7:14:00 AM

Northwolfe said:
Thanks for your advice. So, the Rampage Formula has native support for Crossfire? I, in the last few years have only worked with nVidia cards, so am a little rusty on ATI/AMD...
I'm just mad he didn't talk to me before buying the cards, since now I will only pay him 150 Euros for each (which he bought 200).

@ jyjjy - Looks like a good solution, unfortunately I will not be OC'ing them -since they are not for me. How well do you think they perform without OC?

@ Maziar - I printed him your magnificent article on SLI/CF, it helped greatly to explain why he could not have SLI on that mobo - so he either goes CF, buys a new SLI ready Mobo/CPU/DDR3, or keeps his old system with one of his nVidia cards (GTX260 or GTX460?).

Just one question on your article: Will 5970 CF with 5850/5870? Some of the squares on the graphic are red and have dots (.), others are just red - does that have any relevance? Do all the interconnecting red scares Crossfire with no probs?

Thanks for your attention and help and attention.

I'm glad it helped you :) 
And yes you can use 5970 with either 5850 or 5870 in CF mode.
The squares with dots are the recommended ones(Like 5970 and 5870),but the red ones without dots will also work fine(Like 5970 and 5850)
October 27, 2010 10:33:12 AM

He decide, much to my pleasure, and profit, to keep the 2 GTX460´s and go X58/DD3 TC.

Thanks for all your help, and input, it will surely be very useful in the future - specially now with all the new AMD Radeon Craze:) 
!