Ati 5850 fan noise :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hi, first of all thank you for your help :wahoo: every time I have a problem you do your best to help me :)

here is the problem. I have a sapphire radeon 5850. it is 10 months old, and i have no problem regarding funtionality. the problem is since yesterday it started to make strange noises :( different from the noises it normally do.

the sound is not like the fan speed is higher, cuz when i change to test the fan speed via ccc, the sound it makes is totally different than the one i heard. it is like a buzz, like an emery polishing something.

sometimes at first I moved the case and the sounds stops for a few seconds ( :D and by moving it I really mean punching it :) )

I play games normally performance wise, the temp and fan speed % seems to be ok (idle to 42°C, in games for a long time max 70°C I think)

the thing is the sound .( maybe i need to replace the fan? or i can reapir it (like something loose in the fan or something like that)

what aftermarket fan is good and cheap :) for the 5850? i mean i dont want to oc, just stop the noise.

thank you again.

Solution
Well to keep the bearing from getting horribly worse and eventually seizing up then you need to take it apart and give it some WD40 or motor oil to lube it. It doesn't take much to last a few months. That is what I do to keep fans going after they have had a lot of use or just old age.

notty22

Distinguished
Well instead of punching the case, you might take the side panel off and use a flashlight to take a peak whats going on. Sometimes a stray wire/cable has moved in to the fan.
Is it a reference model with a blower type fan ? Either way, if its not a year old, you might get warranty help.

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Thank you very much (thats to all tomshardware´s comunity and specially you two :) )

it is the reference model ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5850,2433.html ) just like that one in the pic.

I opened my pc case, and is not a cable. I have a dust blower ( its like a vacuum but inverse) and blown the fan and the card to remove the dust, standard maintenance, etc.

I told you about the punch :D because i thought it was my case fan at first (it happens to me sometimes ) and as a aditional data (maybe It means is something mechanic so when it gets in its position or something it stops, but then it starts again)

I cant get the warranty, so that is not an option for me :(

Assuming its the fan bearing, there is a way to repair it or something like that?

thank you very much again :)

Well to keep the bearing from getting horribly worse and eventually seizing up then you need to take it apart and give it some WD40 or motor oil to lube it. It doesn't take much to last a few months. That is what I do to keep fans going after they have had a lot of use or just old age.

Solution

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Thank you very much :) !!!!!!

I have read in sites around the internet about removing the sticker of the fan and lubing it.

So wd 40 will be. others said 3 in 1 but because u recomend wd 40 ill use that one .

Maybe ill change the fan, but as u said, meanwhile to prevent future problems, ill lub it :D

So as u said, that will make it to last a few months, so the real recomendation is to lub it as soon as posible (tomorrow when i can buy wd 40) and then maybe in 1 or 2 months buy an aftermarket cooler etc. or is posible that i can keep lubing it for more time?

thank you again.

Changing the fan isn't going to be easy unless you find a donor for a spare but WD40 is the easy but don't spray it near the card and when your done put the sticker back. Also ordinary motor oil works and I have used that to. Doing this can make fans last for many years. My aunt has a old box fan that she has done this one and it has lasted for more than 20 years. :eek:

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
:D I loled too :)

like 5 minutes after I posted my pics, I realized it was the bottom sticker instead of that one :)

The worst part was that due to the screw type I neede another type of screwdriver (cuz they are too small) and then i went to the hardware store to buy the screwdriver and since is columbus day a lot of them were closed :(

(well thats another story)

the thing is this: finnaly i get to the bottom sticker, and it does not have the usual hole :( it has like a copper plate or a copper shield and i cant open it, even with screwdrivers or knifes :(

so maybe the type of fan is one that cant be oiled (not ball bearing but sleeve bearing or i dont know)

so what can i do now? :(

Thank you :)

All you need to do is remove 4 screws and the fan cable, the screwdriver needs to be small and you have to take your time making sure you do not strip the screws. To be honest it is very easy, just make sure you are grounded and you will be fine.

Here is a thread of a user that removed the stock cooler and installed an aftermarket. Just so you can get an idea of what you can do if all else fails...
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=337460

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

First of all, thank you very much :)

:( I already took the fan out, and removed the sticker. my fan is the same model as this one:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/video/radeon-hd5850/28_587_coolturbr_big.jpg&1=1

I removed the sticker, and in other fans they have a hole in there where you can put the oil, but after i remove the sticker i only get one copper or bronze plate, and i cant remove it. I tried with a lot of things, scredrivers, small knifes, etc.

when you say to remove 4 screws and the cable, you mean to get the fan like the one in the pic, o after the one in the pick?

cuz if it is to get to the fan as in the pic, I alredy got there :(

thanks again

Yea I thought you were having issues removing the cooler from the PCB. Any luck fixing that fan?

If all else fails you can install an aftermarket cooler, they go for 25.00$ for a cheap replacement or you can go all out with an Accelero twin turbo like the one posted on the link.

carboncallate

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
:D

Yeah I bought an accelero L2 pro.

I tried to fix it by lubing it, but beacuse the type (maybe sleeve) or because the protection (that bronze/copper plate) I couldnt.

Even so, ill give the best answer to nforce4 :D because if the fan was ball bearing I could have my problem solved without buying the aftermarket :bounce:

of course your answers were good too :)

thank you all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.