How often do you upgrade your graphics card?

How often do you upgrade your graphics card?

• After 1 Year

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • After 2 Years

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • After 3 years

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 4+ Years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Until It cant run games well

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
I pick the last one as well. I use my cards until it wont play goodernuff anymore, lol.

On a serious note, I used to upgrade needlessly but that gets expensive. You learn your lesson eventually, sometimes, maybe...

Well, Simple how often do you upgrade your graphics card?

The last one is prolly the best answer, but I tend to skip generations as I don't think there's enough benefit going from one to the next. My HD 4850 will just have to do until the 6000 series comes out.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
We're on the same page!

Whenever something good comes out that has more or better features, or provides a decent step up from my current hardware.. it's mine bwahahaw

4745454b

Titan
When I can't play the games I want for the most part.

I tend to view a lot of FS/FT forums. I was happy with my 8800GS for the most part, but saw a good deal on a 5750 for cheap. I was looking for a new card anyways to replace my wifes x1800XT, so I bought the 5750 and passed my 8800GS to her. The 5750 is enough card for me, so I don't see me upgrading again. (unless I see a great deal again...)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Bought a 4 series card, then a 5 series, and plan on getting a 6 series. so its annual for me. Don't plan it that way, i just get so excited for the new cards. Now i know im doing that though, i'll probably stick to the mid-range cards (ie, 6770 or nv equivalent). since upgrading from a 4890 to a 5870 was not such a great idea, especially since i never use it anymore. Will be selling my primary rig and getting a 6770 for my HTPC, which will become my main gaming rig.

Considering it lasted me a good 5 years, yeah, the 7800GTX was really a superb card.. However, the upgrade was required and the performance improvement that the 4870 bought with itself was tremendous.. However, i don't think this will last that long.. Graphical realism and complexity in games is increasing at a rapid rate which in turn is reducing the effective life span of video cards.. My next card may be due in another 6 months.. I hope Nvidia gets ready with their next gen cards by then..