Troubleshooting my PC

og954

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I am having issues with my PC. It sometimes goes into a freezing fit for about 5-10 seconds where the mouse moves but you cannot click on anything. And then it unfreezes and everything runs smooth and normal/fast.

A couple weeks ago I got a blue error screen the computer started dumping and restarted and did not reboot. I tried turning the PC on and the fans and lights come on the computer, but my monitors showed no signal and stay off.

After a couple of unsuccessful tries at rebooting, I opened the PC box and dusted off some of the components (there was not much dust) and I took out the RAM sticks and put them into the DDR3 3 and 4 slots (the manual says it is better to put them in slots 1 and 2) and the computer started up successfully.

About a month ago I also acquired a new monitor. I always had a dual monitor set up, but the new monitor is a little bigger. I have an onboard graphics card which is ATI 4200.

So, I am trying to find out what is causing the freezing.

Should I try putting the RAM back into slots 1 and 2?

Should I buy new RAM?

Should I buy a dedicated graphics card?

Is the motherboard going bad?

og954

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I am current running the Latency Checker. I did not know that you have to set the appropriate voltage in the BIOS. This could be a problem since I built the computer myself. Although the computer has been running find for a little more than a year already. Is there any way to check how much voltage is required for my specific memory? And how do I set it up? I never really messed with the BIOS screen for any reason before.

Thanks for the help.

og954

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Also the Latency Checker now says

"Some device drivers on this machine behave bad and will probably cause drop-outs in real-time audio and/or video streams. To isolate the misbehaving driver use Device Manager and disable/re-enable various devices, one at a time. Try network and W-LAN adapters, modems, internal sound devices, USB host controllers, etc."

og954

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
OK on the Latency checker I noticed that every time I open a new web page the bars jump to a little above the yellow bar.

Test interval 1000
Current Latency is around 250ish and the absolute maximum was 14122