SERIOUSLY IN NEED OF HELP GETTING FRUSTRATED

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi guys I have had my system built for about 2 months now and I am getting a really annoying problem upon start up. Upon start up my network manager (in windows 7) seems to lock up, my icons disappear from the desktop and the task bar for a few seconds and then they reappear after a few seconds. After this happens everything works as normal but is getting to be an annoyance and I REALLY need to get it fixed.

My set-up is as follows:
AMD x4 955 @ 3.2 (stock)
ASYS M4A785-TD EVO mobo
asus gtx 470 1280mb v2
4gb ddr3
xfx 650w xxx edition psu
500gb western digital 7,200 rpm hdd

I am pretty sure it isn't my GPU as I previously has a hd 5770 and have upgraded to the gtx 470 and still have the same problem. I have tried disabling all start-up apps and still no joy.

I think it's a driver issue maybe? But I am no expert that's why I'm asking here, what should I do next to find out what the problem is?

daygall

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
you mean the screen flashes on login and all your icons disappear and reappear?

so the screen blinks your icons vanish the screen then goes black and then everything comes back again and works?

if so then thats just your GFX driver starting

you likely have custom settings setup some ware for your 3D rendering and or post boot OC to your card and the driver is implementing these on boot which is perfectly normal

my desktop is an ATI gfx card and it dose the same thing on boot, and my laptop is nvidia and it also dose the same thing

so if everything is working fine after the flash and nothing seams out of place then ya ill betcha its just your GFX driver enabling certain custom settings on boot

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
from what I know I don't have any custom settings for my card, apart from changing some settings that change the settings of some games which only change upon startup of the game. Plus just before posting, when I started up my computer and logged in I was greeted by a blank blue screen. This was not a Blue screen of death, just a random blue screen. But the computer was fine on restart (apart from the icon disappearing issue).

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi guys i'd just like to add that I just uninstalled my gtx 470 drivers and the problem disappeared and then I reinstalled the drivers and the problem came back. Is there a conflict maybe? I have uninstalled all previous graphics drivers so that shouldn't be a problem but the latest nvidia gtx 470 drivers also installs nvidia sound drivers, could that be the problem?

EDIT: I just used the disable function for my gtx 470 in windows 7, restarted my computer and the problem still occurred. I am stumped- is disabling different to uninstalling the drivers though? I don't know, help would be much appreciated.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
If you had an ATI 5770 and then installed an nVidia card then there could be some conflict there if the Catalyst drivers weren't all removed. If your rig is only 2 months old, have you considered reinstalling Win 7 after backing up your data and having a clean gfx system?

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I have made sure all old graphics drivers are uninstalled using driversweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
So I shouldn't really have any left over ATI GFX drivers at all. And no I really don't have the time to do that, especially for this sort of problem.