DWL-650+ Win98SE Freeze downloading large file

ello,

Problem:

Wireless network card causes system freeze sporadically.

System:

My machine is a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT with 32MB ram and 2GB disk, with
Win98SE and all the windows update patches applied successfully.

I have a D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless 802.11b card that seems to work ok
except the machine frequently freezes up when surfing. I have found
repeatable scenario that causes the freeze: try to download a 27MB
file
via FTP from another machine on my LAN. Freezes every time.

Previous attempts at remediation:

Installed the latest driver for the card, version 3.0.7.

Disabled all unused COM ports in Device Manager.

Disabled all unused LAN cards in Device Manager.

Freed up all IRQs I can (IRQ3)

Tried different PCMCIA ports on the machine.

Still freezes.

Any ideas?

Thanks, very much,

Ed
9 answers Last reply
More about win98se freeze downloading large file

    <edburns@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > ello,
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > Wireless network card causes system freeze sporadically.
    >
    > System:
    >
    > My machine is a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT with 32MB ram and 2GB disk, with
    > Win98SE and all the windows update patches applied successfully.
    >
    > I have a D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless 802.11b card that seems to work ok
    > except the machine frequently freezes up when surfing. I have found
    > repeatable scenario that causes the freeze: try to download a 27MB
    > file
    > via FTP from another machine on my LAN. Freezes every time.
    >
    > Previous attempts at remediation:
    >
    > Installed the latest driver for the card, version 3.0.7.
    >
    > Disabled all unused COM ports in Device Manager.
    >
    > Disabled all unused LAN cards in Device Manager.
    >
    > Freed up all IRQs I can (IRQ3)
    >
    > Tried different PCMCIA ports on the machine.
    >
    > Still freezes.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, very much,
    >
    > Ed

    Try adding more RAM. The unit has to hit that swap file pretty hard with
    only 32 MB of RAM. Surfing the net often means a lot of graphics!

    Richard Johnson wrote:
    > <edburns@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> ello,
    >>
    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> Wireless network card causes system freeze sporadically.
    >>
    >> System:
    >>
    >> My machine is a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT with 32MB ram and 2GB disk,
    >> with Win98SE and all the windows update patches applied
    >> successfully.
    >>
    >> I have a D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless 802.11b card that seems to work
    >> ok except the machine frequently freezes up when surfing. I have
    >> found
    >> repeatable scenario that causes the freeze: try to download a 27MB
    >> file
    >> via FTP from another machine on my LAN. Freezes every time.
    >>
    >> Previous attempts at remediation:
    >>
    >> Installed the latest driver for the card, version 3.0.7.
    >>
    >> Disabled all unused COM ports in Device Manager.
    >>
    >> Disabled all unused LAN cards in Device Manager.
    >>
    >> Freed up all IRQs I can (IRQ3)
    >>
    >> Tried different PCMCIA ports on the machine.
    >>
    >> Still freezes.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks, very much,
    >>
    >> Ed
    >>
    > Try adding more RAM. The unit has to hit that swap file pretty hard
    > with only 32 MB of RAM. Surfing the net often means a lot of
    > graphics!

    ....additionally, you need at least 300MB free space on the HD - that's
    contiguous space - so after making that much available, defragment. It
    might take a while if the drive has not been defragmented frequently.

    edburns@gmail.com wrote:
    > ello,
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > Wireless network card causes system freeze sporadically.
    >
    > System:
    >
    > My machine is a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT with 32MB ram and 2GB disk, with
    > Win98SE and all the windows update patches applied successfully.
    >
    > I have a D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless 802.11b card that seems to work ok
    > except the machine frequently freezes up when surfing. I have found
    > repeatable scenario that causes the freeze: try to download a 27MB
    > file
    > via FTP from another machine on my LAN. Freezes every time.
    >
    > Previous attempts at remediation:
    >
    > Installed the latest driver for the card, version 3.0.7.
    >
    > Disabled all unused COM ports in Device Manager.
    >
    > Disabled all unused LAN cards in Device Manager.
    >
    > Freed up all IRQs I can (IRQ3)
    >
    > Tried different PCMCIA ports on the machine.
    >
    > Still freezes.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, very much,
    >
    > Ed

    I had a perfectly functioning wireless system with a Linksys router.
    I added a DWL650 to the mix and it locked up frequently requiring
    rebooting every computer on the network to get it back.

    I flashed the firmware on the ROUTER and those problems went away.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

    edburns@gmail.com wrote:

    > ello,
    >
    > Problem:
    >
    > Wireless network card causes system freeze sporadically.
    >
    > System:
    >
    > My machine is a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT with 32MB ram and 2GB disk, with
    > Win98SE and all the windows update patches applied successfully.

    32MB RAM???!!! I'm amazed it even boots ;) You gotta add a lot more RAM to get
    98 to run well. 128MB is normally the min RAM for 98 (and higher) to run well.

    TJ

    Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
    > edburns@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> ello,
    >>
    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> Wireless network card causes system freeze sporadically.
    >>
    >> System:
    >>
    >> My machine is a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT with 32MB ram and 2GB disk,
    >> with Win98SE and all the windows update patches applied
    >> successfully.
    >
    > 32MB RAM???!!! I'm amazed it even boots ;) You gotta add a lot more
    > RAM to get 98 to run well. 128MB is normally the min RAM for 98 (and
    > higher) to run well.
    >
    > TJ

    Not so... Win98 runs fine in 32MB, a bit slow. The more serious issue
    is the HD but with adequate management the HD is OK.

    Thanks for all your replies. I tried manually setting the swap space
    to have a 530MB maximum (ludicrous, I know, but I'll try anything at
    this point) Still freezes up every time when getting a large file over
    FTP.

    Could it be something with the MTU?

    The router is a Netgear MR814v2. There is a firmware upgrade
    available, but I don't observe the problem that every computer freezes
    up, only the one with the DWL-650+. In any case, I'll try the
    firmware upgrade and see if that helps.

    Ed

    edburns@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks for all your replies. I tried manually setting the swap space
    > to have a 530MB maximum (ludicrous, I know, but I'll try anything at
    > this point) Still freezes up every time when getting a large file over
    > FTP.
    >
    > Could it be something with the MTU?
    >
    > The router is a Netgear MR814v2. There is a firmware upgrade
    > available, but I don't observe the problem that every computer freezes
    > up, only the one with the DWL-650+. In any case, I'll try the
    > firmware upgrade and see if that helps.
    >
    > Ed

    I lied. I have the same Netgear router. Flash the firmware.
    The Linksys is on the other network. Sorry for the confusion.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

    Ok, I flashed the firmware on the netgear MR814v2, but I still get the
    problem.

    I tried setting the MAX TCP Receive to 2048 and the MTU to 1400 using
    DRTCP, but still I see the problem. At this point, can someone point
    me at some diagnostic tools to give me some insight into what's
    happening? There are two parameters I'm investigating:

    Receive Rate
    Total Bytes Received

    Ed

    Does anyone have any more suggestions to offer on this?

    Ed

Laptops