Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A million threads on 2500k mobo.. So here's million and 1

Last response: in Motherboards
Share

Which board should I get to run the 2500k?

Total: 23 votes (15 blank votes)

  • MSI P67A-G45 (B3)
  • 12 %
  • ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
  • 0 %
  • ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
  • 56 %
  • Other (Specify)
  • 34 %
November 5, 2011 3:27:00 AM

Alright a little while ago I asked the community which AMD board to get. After alot of time I found the perfect board and guess what... switching to Intel now!!

That said which Intel board should I get to run with my i5-2500k using the Hyper 212 CPU cooler for a 4Ghz overclock? Only going to be running 1 video card. And no need for USB 3.0 or expansion slots however the more the merrier!


1. MSI P67A-G45 (B3) $102.99 (aft $30 mir)
2. ASRock Z68 Pro3-M $109.99
3. ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $124.99

#2 has known issues with doa memory slots. As long as I can run dual chan in B channel were good. Besides you get best overclocks using 2/4 sticks anyways... if 8GB's isn't enough than I'll swap the 4GB sticks out and get 8's.


Overall my favorite choice is the MSI P67A-G45. Comment, suggest, and discuss. Wanting to run this build for quite a few years upgrading to the i7 in 2/3 years from now after price drops.
November 5, 2011 4:18:18 AM

I'm essentially in the exact same situation, and right now I'm currently including the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 in my build, but that Gigabyte one thesnappy just linked looks good too... hmm.
Related resources
November 5, 2011 4:46:06 PM

The UD3 Gigabyte board is a good board but I'm not going to take the risk of a boot-loop so staying away from Gigabyte boards for this build. As for a $200ish board I'd go with the Asus Z68 but that board is out of my price range. So these three boards in the poll are generally the ideal boards unless someone has another suggestion. :) 
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 5, 2011 4:50:58 PM

50th copy/paste ;) 

For the vast majority of Gamer's I recommend the following MOBO's for 2-WAY:
Z68 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
P67 P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) or (3.1) whichever is the cheaper

You want at least 12-Phases to the CPU for Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 for the (K) versions and you plan to OC the CPU.

Next Z68 vs P67, unless you are going to use Intel RST {SSD Caching} or have a need for QuickSync for MPEG-2/4/H.264 creation then look at the P67 ASUS P8P67 PRO and use the savings for a better GPU. Z68 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO.
November 5, 2011 11:32:58 PM

jaquith said:
50th copy/paste ;) 

For the vast majority of Gamer's I recommend the following MOBO's for 2-WAY:
Z68 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
P67 P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) or (3.1) whichever is the cheaper

You want at least 12-Phases to the CPU for Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 for the (K) versions and you plan to OC the CPU.

Next Z68 vs P67, unless you are going to use Intel RST {SSD Caching} or have a need for QuickSync for MPEG-2/4/H.264 creation then look at the P67 ASUS P8P67 PRO and use the savings for a better GPU. Z68 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO.


Nice copy and paste and not reading first post lol. Don't need SLi/CrossfireX and IF I wanted a $200 board I'd get the Asus Z68 ofc but this isn't the case. Pretty much options are those 3 board UNLESS you have a board around $150 (not over) that is better than those 3. :) 
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 5, 2011 11:56:35 PM

You don't get it, I wouldn't choose ANY of the MOBO's you had listed. Read your own post:

Which board should I get to run the 2500k? Other (Specify)

I did specify, at it is $159 with free shipping -> ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 6, 2011 12:47:28 AM

jaquith said:
You don't get it, I wouldn't choose ANY of the MOBO's you had listed. Read your own post:

Which board should I get to run the 2500k? Other (Specify)

I did specify, at it is $159 with free shipping -> ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


What's your personal opinion on the board? Alot of bad reviews on that one lol
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 6, 2011 1:19:38 PM

I know the Experienced builder won't have any issues with that MOBO. I read reviews and I know there's a lot of people who have no business attempting to build, and I know only a small fraction of people post reviews. I also know some people cannot be pleased ever -- even if the MOBO were made of solid gold people would bitch.

Tip - ANY LGA 1155, update the BIOS prior to installing the OS and 99% of the problems will be solved.
November 7, 2011 2:32:11 AM

jaquith said:
I know the Experienced builder won't have any issues with that MOBO. I read reviews and I know there's a lot of people who have no business attempting to build, and I know only a small fraction of people post reviews. I also know some people cannot be pleased ever -- even if the MOBO were made of solid gold people would bitch.

Tip - ANY LGA 1155, update the BIOS prior to installing the OS and 99% of the problems will be solved.


Okay you have my attention lol... I've been in the IT biz since 2001 (and not not boasting 10 years isn't long at all). Certified in quite a bit of things but thats besides the point. I want a board that will last for a few years. Plan is to get the i5 CPU, than in like 2 years upgrade it to the i7 (or buy the best socket 1155) keeping same parts etc.

So your saying to get the ASUS P67 over the Z68? Again all I need is 1 full speed pcie slot and nothing else fancy however do intend to get the 2500k up to 4Ghz. :) 
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 11, 2011 3:59:05 PM

Sorry, I have been overwhelmed with my business.

I stated the Pros/Cons above - 50th copy/paste.

The P67 has the edge of speed in: SATA, USB, and in some cases Frame Rate - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4330/asus-p8z68v-review/5

For overclocking I only recommend 12 Phases or higher to the current Sandy Bridge (K) CPUs. The vanilla ASUS P8P67 - http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P6... has only (1) PCIe + an x4 PCIe and does have the 12+2 Phases. Though I very rarely recommend it; my 'thought' is higher volume MOBO's have better and more updated BIOS, Drivers, etc than 'similar' less popular MOBO's -- so the few bucks saved IMO don't pay-off long-term.

November 11, 2011 5:04:43 PM

jaquith said:
Sorry, I have been overwhelmed with my business.

I stated the Pros/Cons above - 50th copy/paste.

The P67 has the edge of speed in: SATA, USB, and in some cases Frame Rate - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4330/asus-p8z68v-review/5

For overclocking I only recommend 12 Phases or higher to the current Sandy Bridge (K) CPUs. The vanilla ASUS P8P67 - http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P6... has only (1) PCIe + an x4 PCIe and does have the 12+2 Phases. Though I very rarely recommend it; my 'thought' is higher volume MOBO's have better and more updated BIOS, Drivers, etc than 'similar' less popular MOBO's -- so the few bucks saved IMO don't pay-off long-term.


I ended up just getting the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Has all the features of P67 and also the HD3000 feature the H67 offers. And SSD cacheing whenever I get a SSD. PCIE 3.0 and board has 1x 16x support as well as SLi/CrossfireX in 8x mode. Power phases on this board is 8 + 4 so that makes your 12 mark (although I only plan a 4.0~4.2Ghz OC anyways). Last but not least it supports the new 22nm CPU Intel will release in the future. Not sure if I'm going to keep this board or go with a P77 but good to know the option is there.

One other feature I like (as already mentioned) Z68 chipsets utilize the HD3000 graphics on the CPU. So I can use integrated until I get a steal on a GPU and PSU. I posted this thread being lazy and after several hours of research and planning I found the Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board. Only real perk to the Asus P67 is an extra 4x pcie port, USB 3.0 header, BlueTooth, and 2 more SATA III ports. I'll pass and pocket the $35 not having those features. Also allows me to get a little more life out of my old PSU and take my time getting a super deal on a GPU.

Edit: Also on a side note. I was intending to stay away from Asrock boards for this build due to my X2 value board on the verge of dieing anytime now. But after thinking about it... $50 value board lasting 3 years on a 1Ghz overclock (283Mhz fsb) for roughly 2 years is excellent/very lucky. That said the Extreme3 Gen3 board *might* be considered a value board to someone paying $200+ on a board but from a guy never spend over $50 on a MOBO the board I chose is high-end. :p 
November 13, 2011 11:45:55 PM

jaquith said:
The iGPU is perfectly fine for anything 2D. Again, it's about the Phases to lower the vCore.

You, to a degree, get what you pay for, and the ASRock are simply budget versions of ASUS; ASUS owns ASRock ;)  ... and NO 8 CPU + 4 iPGU isn't 12 + 4 like the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO -> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

Phase study, note the 2nd spreadsheet -> http://www.overclock.net/t/916189/official-intel-p67-z6...


I give you that much that Asrock boards are knock-off versions of Asus boards but I think the Extreme7 board atm is the best board out there atm. Problem with buying a $280 board tho is yes it supports future CPU's but by time the new line of CPU's come out the chipset's going to be P77 etc and probably DDR4 lolz. Would you really buy a top-dollar board today, 2 years from now buy the Ivey Bridge, and put it in the board? Probably not because it would be the old chipset, RAM, and bet even a newer/updated RAM-to-CPU-to-Chipset design.

As for the Phases your talking about. Indeed the more power you have to work with the better the OC's. However in my standing I refuse to do a vCore OC. I'll probably set the 2500k to run at 1.255ish volts and if need-be 1.3v maximum to achieve a 4.0-4.2Ghz OC. Some lucky people claim to get 4.8Ghz~5Ghz with 1.32v but rare. The main problem with the board I have.. people say they are getting a 4.3Ghz cap with their 2500k's. Probably a power phase limitation there or they just don't know how to overclock well. Back in the day I'd get my SL6WU's to 4Ghz spending 3 minutes in bios. iCores overclock a bit dif but still not hard if you take your time.
November 14, 2011 5:39:28 PM

jaquith said:
LGA 2011 is here as I said they would be ;)  -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318419-28-intel-sandy...

Regarding vCore of i7-2600K or i5-2500K, I wouldn't worry about a 1.35v vCore...maybe even 1.40v. Yeah, >1.40v is reducing the lifespan.


So your saying I can safely run @ 1.35v with a temp no higher than 65c and be running at full speed? Granted the CPU is rated for 72c but I like to throttle around 10c lower than maximum spec. I hope I can achieve at least a 4.0Ghz OC with the Extreme3 Gen3, 2500k, and Dark Night HSF. Sadly at the moment I'm going to have to resort to the paste that comes with the CPU instead of AS5 because my old tube of AS5 is 3 years old and I'm not going to pay $13 for the same tube.... I should have jumped on that 50% off thermal paste sale a week and half ago.

As for the LGA 2011's. It's a shock that it's only packed with a 15MB L3 cache.. it should be at least 24mb. Back in the day when the P4 EE SL7RT chip came out it boasted a 512k L2 and 2mb L3. The non-EE only had 512k L2 and no L3. At least the chip supports the new quad-channel DDR3 architecture. It's a shame that 2500k's use the old dual-channel... I want triple lol. I can see it now tho boards supporting 2011 socket have 128GB max memory and 32GB the standard as 8/16GB the standard today.
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 14, 2011 7:11:02 PM

What I am saying CLEARLY is that a vCore of 1.35v is safe. I am not saying 65C is 'good', if your Temps are running high then you either need to lower the vCore or CPU Multiplier. Otherwise, purchase a better HSF and/or make certain the HSF is properly installed (Thermal Paste, Mount, Fan Speed, and has a suitable Delta-T).

edit: IMO >4.5GHz regardless of the vCore ideally it's best to use some form of water cooling. Thermal damage is just as bad as High vCore damage. Those who want to replace the SB with IB (Ivy Bridge) do not need to worry about 'killing' their CPU - bottom-line 'who cares' the CPU has a 3-year warranty.

Here's the issue, the 12-Phase MOBO's I've listed can achieve in many cases 5.0GHz with a vCore of 1.35v whereas, as you touched on, the ASRock with the same vCore have been 4.2GHz~4.5GHz -- aka Thermally Limited to a slower OC.

Sandy Bridge-E's advantages are few, but least of all it's Quad Channel unless the MOBO is equipped with 8xDIMM. For those who want extreme, like the LGA 1366, the LGA 2011 is a preferred fit.
November 14, 2011 7:47:37 PM

jaquith said:
What I am saying CLEARLY is that a vCore of 1.35v is safe. I am not saying 65C is 'good', if your Temps are running high then you either need to lower the vCore or CPU Multiplier. Otherwise, purchase a better HSF and/or make certain the HSF is properly installed (Thermal Paste, Mount, Fan Speed, and has a suitable Delta-T).

edit: IMO >4.5GHz regardless of the vCore ideally it's best to use some form of water cooling. Thermal damage is just as bad as High vCore damage. Those who want to replace the SB with IB (Ivy Bridge) do not need to worry about 'killing' their CPU - bottom-line 'who cares' the CPU has a 3-year warranty.

Here's the issue, the 12-Phase MOBO's I've listed can achieve in many cases 5.0GHz with a vCore of 1.35v whereas, as you touched on, the ASRock with the same vCore have been 4.2GHz~4.5GHz -- aka Thermally Limited to a slower OC.

Sandy Bridge-E's advantages are few, but least of all it's Quad Channel unless the MOBO is equipped with 8xDIMM. For those who want extreme, like the LGA 1366, the LGA 2011 is a preferred fit.


65c was the maximum acceptable I'd feel comfortable running at. 50~55c is more ideal fair statement (although I read most run 40~45c with 1.35v and Hyper 212)? I haven't had a chance to do any overclocking yet on my rig... still in the 300 thermal curing. Btw I want to thank you for all of your help. Even though I didn't get the board you suggested I still gained alot of knowledge from you. :)  Although if I wasn't on such a tight budget I should have gotten the Asus Z68.
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 14, 2011 8:07:57 PM

The CM 212+ is a basic aftermarket HSF with mid Delta-T; for most folks I recommend either the Thermaltake Frio or Corsair H100 short of a 'real' water block system.

Keep in mind what 'others' have accomplished is no guaranteeing on what you'll achieve the variables are also the CPU and your BIOS settings.

IMO look at Clunk's OC Guide - http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s... (Less = More)

It doesn't matter to 'me' what MOBO's or components folks purchase; I am commission free. I know where the water is but drinking is a whole other issue.

edit: I also recommend Arctic Cooling MX-4 (no curing time & electrically non-conductive) over Arctic Silver 5, and I'm not a fanboy of the 'exotic' Thermal concoctions.
November 14, 2011 8:23:10 PM

jaquith said:
The CM 212+ is a basic aftermarket HSF with mid Delta-T; for most folks I recommend either the Thermaltake Frio or Corsair H100 short of a 'real' water block system.

Keep in mind what 'others' have accomplished is no guaranteeing on what you'll achieve the variables are also the CPU and your BIOS settings.

IMO look at Clunk's OC Guide - http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s... (Less = More)

It doesn't matter to 'me' what MOBO's or components folks purchase; I am commission free. I know where the water is but drinking is a whole other issue.


Thanks for the link... reading over it as we speak. The i5-2500k is way more than enough @ stock for me let alone a 1Ghz overclock (if I can get it to 4.3 as many have with my board). And yes all varies per system. Some get an OC of only 3.9Ghz with 1.35v and others 5.0Ghz same volts and board. I love when Intel/AMD platter a chip and it doesn't run @ spec so they sell it as a lower-ended chip. One such chip was the last batch of SL6WU's plattered. Basically *most* of them were 3.0Ghz EE cpu's that failed as EE so they sold them as regular chips. You can tell the diff by caps on the bottom (30 was EE's 15 was the standard non-EE).

If I ever went into Liquid Cooling I'd daisy chain two of these together:

http://www.dangerden.com/store/tfc-x-changer-triple-rad...

Get a good pump and use .5' piping. Ofc I'd need to also get a good pump and full-sized case. Not really in the market for a $400ish cooling system to OC my chip wayyy out of spec.

Also I read above you said something about an Intel 3-year warranty. Their TOS on that warranty requires you to run the CPU @ spec and also use their HSF. As soon as you put AS5 on the chip warranty's void. Be hard to prove you used an aftermarket HSF but they without a doubt could prove a dead CPU was ran overvolted/overclocked. They have a small static memory on the chip that records the last used settings volts & frequency.
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 14, 2011 9:04:46 PM

You name it I've blown it up, and to this day no questions on any of my RMA's -- though most have them were ATI GPU's. I know the correlation between 12 Phases or more and the SB's vCore, it irrefutable.

Regarding the Intel Pentium 4 socket 478 isn't good for even the web; Intel, AMD, you name it has had both its' successes and failures. The CPU's/GPU's/MOBO/RAM/SSD/etc you name it again all have had oopsies; particularly over that past couple of years the components are overkill for the vast majority of folks who simple do mundane tasks.

You've got a lot of 'Paranoid Conspiracy' thoughts, none of them will hold true. Short of you taking a hammer to the CPU your warranty is valid.

As far as water cooling my choices are Koolance and EK. The only item from Danger Den that ever caught my eye is their 3 x 360 box. We all have our 'warm & fuzzy' components.
November 14, 2011 9:20:29 PM

jaquith said:
You name it I've blown it up, and to this day no questions on any of my RMA's -- though most have them were ATI GPU's. I know the correlation between 12 Phases or more and the SB's vCore, it irrefutable.

Regarding the Intel Pentium 4 socket 478 isn't good for even the web; Intel, AMD, you name it has had both its' successes and failures. The CPU's/GPU's/MOBO/RAM/SSD/etc you name it again all have had oopsies; particularly over that past couple of years the components are overkill for the vast majority of folks who simple do mundane tasks.

You've got a lot of 'Paranoid Conspiracy' thoughts, none of them will hold true. Short of you taking a hammer to the CPU your warranty is valid.

As far as water cooling my choices are Koolance and EK. The only item from Danger Den that ever caught my eye is their 3 x 360 box. We all have our 'warm & fuzzy' components.


I've never had an issue OCing a CPU mainly because I tend not to overspec the volts. Only time I ever over-volted was on an X2 chip I wanted to get a 1.5Ghz OC and indeed got it but with stock cooler + windows open in winter + 120mm fan blowing on it... it still was hitting the 80c range. Was a mear fun project and not a 24.7 build.

Soo have you ever played around with Cyrix MII 250Mhz (100 x 2.5 multi) socket 7 chips in regards to OC? Best I can get on it is 310Mhz (124 x 2.5 multi).

Also any advice on chipset overclocking? I need to find myself a good cooler for it (air of course) but can't find anything really good. Best thing to date that I've ran acrose is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Had to use that perm thermal paste from artic and made a custom L-shape clip to mount a small fan to it.
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 14, 2011 9:49:57 PM

Since after the LGA 1366 (X58) the LGA 1155 (P67, Z68) chipsets are too much a concern to 'cool'. My best advice is not to OC the LGA 1155 chipsets; the BCLK on the LGA 1155 should not be set >105MHz (>107MHz is bad) because the PCIe is linked -- meaning you'll corrupt your data (SATA, USB, etc).

During the 'day' of Cyrix MII I was a PowerPC guy.

You are ass-u-ming the OLD with the NEW and coolers like Enzotech are not necessary especially for your aforementioned OC...heck even 5.0GHz the (P67/Z68) temps are a big concern.
November 14, 2011 10:08:37 PM

jaquith said:
Since after the LGA 1366 (X58) the LGA 1155 (P67, Z68) chipsets are too much a concern to 'cool'. My best advice is not to OC the LGA 1155 chipsets; the BCLK on the LGA 1155 should not be set >105MHz (>107MHz is bad) because the PCIe is linked -- meaning you'll corrupt your data (SATA, USB, etc).

During the 'day' of Cyrix MII I was a PowerPC guy.

You are ass-u-ming the OLD with the NEW and coolers like Enzotech are not necessary especially for your aforementioned OC...heck even 5.0GHz the (P67/Z68) temps are a big concern.


Chipset was a bit off-topic and not related to my i5-2500k setup, sorry. I'll be setting the BLCK to 100.1Mhz (Asrock boards tend to run at 99.8Mhz with a 100.0 setting yet 100.1 runs at 100.1... go figure).

@ Off-topic: My old X2 board the chipset is on its last legs dieing. Granted it's a value board but if I can add a cheap chipset cooler to it and use it as a htpc/home server I'd like to get a little more use out of it rather than selling the RAM and CPU on e*ay for $50 and trashing the board. I actually think the only reason it's dieing is because it's been running @ 284FSB and 1136HT (2,272 after 2.0x multi) for 2 years. Since it's a value board there is no voltage controls so I believe it auto over-volted.
November 23, 2011 7:02:22 PM

Gentleman, I enjoyed the read.
It addresses the boards I'm interested in, the reasons why I'm buying, what my future intentions are, what my past experiences cover, near my level of knowledge and verbage, and also at my budget point for the purchase.
Much appreciated.
November 24, 2011 5:04:01 AM

asbestoseye said:
Gentleman, I enjoyed the read.
It addresses the boards I'm interested in, the reasons why I'm buying, what my future intentions are, what my past experiences cover, near my level of knowledge and verbage, and also at my budget point for the purchase.
Much appreciated.


If you can afford to... get the Asus Z68. I would have gotten that one myself but the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 works PERFECTLY!! Not a single hiccup yet and I've gotten a 4.8Ghz overclock with the 2500k @ 1.3v vcore however I like to do mild overclocks so running it 24/7 @ 4.3Ghz.
!