Just put together first build...HELP PLEASE!

rajohns08

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
just finished my first build. when i hit power button everything appears to power up but i can't get anything to show up on monitor. ive tried connecting to a tv with hdmi and to a monitor with vga but nothing. my psu has a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector wrapped up in the same bundle of wires so i assume those plug in to the 24 pin connector on mobo. there is also another 4 pin connector that i have tried plugging in to an 8 pin connector on mobo. what are typical troubleshooting steps?

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I suggest you read your motherboard manual and make sure you have all your power connectors hooked up properly.

And what exactly is happening when you push the power button, does anything come on? fans,

Is this a Intel board or a AMD board.

If its intel you will need to connect both the 8pin EATX12v and your 24pin connectors or your system wont boot.

rajohns08

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
^disregard above comment. power button powers off computer after i plugged in additional 4 pin connector to an unused 8 pin outlet on mobo. my reset button on case doesnt work though but led's are working.

here is some basic info on build

MB ASROCK M3A770DE 770+SB710 RT

CPU AMD|ATH II X3 450 3.2G AM3 RT

GPU HIS|H577FK1GD HD5770 RT

PSU FSP|SAGA+ 450R 450W RTL

monitor is 32" sony bravia lcd tv

my psu to mobo has a 20+4 pin connector and another 4 pin connector connected to an 8 pin mobo outlet. is this normal?

my mobo won't post even without gfx card and ram. (it won't beep at all) so i think problem is "narrowed" down to cpu, psu, or mobo. any ideas?

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
your probably missing a power connector on your motherboard that should be connected, read your motherboard manual and make sure everything is connected. also double check that everything is connected firmly.

Also double check the pins on all the power cables that they are all in place.
I once had a hard drive i couldnt get to power on and it turned out to be that one of the pins on the power connector had slipped slightly out of the power connector.

and again i recommend that you read through the motherboard manual very carefully.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

possible yes,
likely no,

pins on cpu's today are very very thin and break easily when bent. You can give it a shot but be very careful not to bend other pins while your doing it. And your going to have to be very precise when bending them back in place. Just some future advice you should never have to apply any force what so ever when inserting a cpu, they just simple fall into place if it doesnt then it most likely not properly oriented. You have to be very careful handling cpu's today, there so small now that you can bend them with the slightest of touch. Its a expensive lesson.