Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rampage3 starts bios/posts but wont load windows.

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2010 1:24:25 AM

Hi I just switched out mobos today for a Asus Rampage 3 Extreme and it runs the bios/posting fine but when it starts to load windows it freezes about 2 seconds in and flashes a blue screen for less then a second before the screen goes black. I have just my sata ssd hooked into the first sata port on the mobo and i made sure that my ssd is the first boot priority.

Oh I forgot to add that I was using everything but the new mobo yesterday so I know they work.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 2:08:15 AM

What version of Windows are you using?

What motherboard were you using previous to the ASUS Rampage III Extreme? Did the previous motherboard also have an Intel X58 chipset? If the chipset was different that explains your Windows boot problem.
December 5, 2010 2:42:08 AM

The mobo and cpu are from my friends acer aspire predator. The chipset is x58 but couldnt find a brand so its probably wholesale to acer.

EDIT: Im using windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 3:11:16 AM

One of the biggest things is the memory. You need to go to the QVL and make sure the memory is compatible with your new board. It might work fine in one board (old one) but not in the new one. Or list the memory you're using now and we can check if you're not sure how. Doesn't the predator have DDR2 memory? The asus board takes DDR3 memory so if that's the case it won't work.
December 5, 2010 3:19:14 AM

its corsair XMS3 DDR3 TR3X6G1600C8
December 5, 2010 3:22:43 AM

The asus board says it has ddr2 and the manual says ddr2 but it came with ddr3.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 3:25:55 AM

Here's a link to Corsair's memory compatibility list for that board and it's not listed. You might want to try something from that list. Sorry, it's not on Asus's QVL either
December 5, 2010 3:28:31 AM

Well it looks like im selling the memory i have now and picking up some more tomorrow. A total bummer but if getting new ram fixes this then ill be happy. Thanks for the help.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 3:29:57 AM

Sure, best answers are always fun to give :D 
December 5, 2010 3:42:07 AM

Best answer selected by Kortwa.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 4:27:34 AM

Corsair may not be on Asus's QVl, but I use Dominators myself with my Rampage III Gene without any issues whatsoever. I have build PC's with XMS3 on Asus x58 boards myself - again without any issues.

See if you've got bad sticks/slots or something. Run Memtest if you will on a friend's PC or check 1 RAM stick at a time to check for bad sticks, before you get rid of 'em.

Maybe you just have to set the speed and timings manually rather than leave them on auto.

Corsair makes the best damn stuff in the business, compatible with almost anything you can throw at it. They can't run a business if their stuff ain't compatible with boards from the most well respected manufacturer (Asus) on the most desirable platform (x58-LGA1366) there is.

EDIT: Of course, XMS3 is on Asus's QVL list, now that I've taken a look at it. What are you talking about?
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 4:40:52 AM

By the way, what is all this talk 'bout DDR2? What's going on here?

Can you please list your full current specs?
December 5, 2010 5:00:11 AM

The sticks themselves work fine as I was running the same comp yesterday on all the same components other then my new motherboard. I will try to change the speeds and timings but when I glanced at the timings on the first bios start they looked fine. I can check that again though.

I would have to agree with the corsair commend as a lot of my current computer is corsair and its great stuff. I did check the QVL list on the book for my Rampage III Extreme and my current memory isnt there. Its not much of a big deal as I have all the packaging so I could go back to Frys and return it tomorrow for some other ram.

As for the talk about DDR2 it was because my cpu and my old board were from an Acer Aspire Predator which states on the site and even in the manual that it uses DDR2 even though it is wrong. I did get different corsair mem to replace it so it is not a factor of the issue.

Current specs:
Case: Corsair 600t
PSU: Corsair Gold 800w
CPU: Intel i7 930 with a Rampage III Extreme mobo (Cpu is stock at 2.8 as I wasn't OC'ing till after i got my board working)
Cooling: Corsair H70
Ram: Corsair XMS3 1600mhz DDR3 TR3X6G1600C8
GPU: Nvidia GTX 470 x2 in SLI
Boot Drive: G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120gig SSD
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 5:25:53 AM

The specs being as they are, everything looks plenty compatible. That doesn't seem to be the issue.

Sorry for asking the obvious, but have you checked the memory sticks one stick at a time? In different slots? If everything else was working together, maybe the board is the problem.

By the way, did you re-install Windows? You absolutely have to do that when you change your mobo! Sorry again if you find this condescending but I'm just trying to cover all angles :) 
December 5, 2010 5:35:53 AM

Oh man I feel like an idiot now. I didnt reinstall as I freaked when I saw that it wasnt booting. This is why its worth getting a couple people to cover my slips : /
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2010 11:19:51 AM

You'll need a new key if you're using a legal OEM copy. Just call up MS and tell 'em 'bout your predicament and they'll oblige.

No such hassles if you're using Retail or unofficial versions. In the first case, just call MS and ask for a transfer of license. Otherwise, well ... you know the deal :p 

So BTW, where's my best answer, buddy?

I want it :bounce:  I want it :bounce:  I want it :bounce: 
!