Sign in with
Your question

My Wireless adapter only disconnects IN-GAME?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 27, 2010 6:49:54 AM

So I've switched to wireless from moving to a new room, its like a room away from my router. When i'm not in game its perfectly fine no disconnections or anything, but during game I get a bit of lag spike then disconnect. I know its just me because when my friend uses my secondary computer to game (wired connection), I'm the only one that disconnects. Also, i've recently reformatted my computer so now i have Windows Vista, when i had Windows 7 no problems occured. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
August 27, 2010 8:32:33 AM

If it's wireless it's probably a reception or interference issue.

Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
m
l
August 27, 2010 8:50:25 AM

Also check if your router has an option in lowering the MTU size and check if it would best to open a port number on the router for this specific online game to fix this concern.
m
l
September 16, 2010 12:08:13 AM

yes minimising the MTU to a value like 1450 with Netgear routers and opening respective TCP and UDP ports in router might help the cause...
m
l
!