Sign in with
Your question

Optical drive problem, and other novice issues...

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2010 4:03:54 AM

Hi all. Straight to the problem : I'm about 90% of the way through assembling my first build and ..

I'm using a corsair 650w psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

asus maximus iii gene mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and trying to use this lg dvd drive gh22np20 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=27-136-... Awesomely enough, this drive cannot be found on LG's website.

the optical drive came with no cables, the mobo provided no cables, and I have a hunch the thing is supposed to be connected to something other than the psu :sarcastic:  . The optical drive has an IDE interface, my mobo booklet is telling me to use an optical drive audio connector (4-pin CD), and the internet has been suggesting a sata connection. There does appear to be a very similar 4 pin socket type on the back of the drive, but I have no idea since I cant find the specs. What cables do I need, or did I screw myself out of $18.

One other thing has been irking me, i lifted the cpu cover rather sloppily, and I noticed the pins in the 1156 socket were all slanted(bent?). One side of the chip had pins that uniformly leaned at 60 degree angle towards the other side, and the other side at a similar angle(but not exact?! hard to tell) right back. I've been youtubing videos left and right, but can't find proof that this is normal. I'm guessing the pins wouldn't be so even and uniform if I had touched them with the cover. I'm just worrying right? :heink: 

thanks in advance for any help
December 5, 2010 4:18:24 AM

First your mb has no ide connector only sata ports. Get a sata drive. The pins should be straight. What does the bottom side of the cpu look like?
m
l
December 5, 2010 4:26:27 AM
Related resources
December 5, 2010 6:20:35 AM

I guess I'm not answering either of you questions but I thought this may help you out. Do you just need the optical drive to install the OS? If so, you could just use "wintoflash" and boot from a flash drive, I just did it, it is very easy, all it does is basically make your flash drive the windows dvd. You may or may not need this info but I thought I'd share it.

Needed:
wintoflash (free program)
4gb flash drive
windows 7 dvd

1-Download wintoflash
2-Insert 4gb flash drive (this process will format flash drive and erase all existing data)
3-Insert Operating system DVD
4-Open wintoflash in wizard mode, Select paths(dvd drive letter to flash drive letter) and it will create a bootable flash drive with windows 7 on it.
5-Once you boot your new computer enter the bios (no flash drive in yet), change boot order to boot from removable device then save changes and exit
6-restart computer and insert flash drive.

Hope this helps you out in some way.
m
l
December 6, 2010 4:14:19 AM

Just the sata cable will be needed and you probably got them with the mb. As to the cpu/mb socket it does sound like it is damaged. Easy to tell, does the system boot to the bios? What happens when you turn it on. All the pins should be straight in my experience.
m
l
December 6, 2010 4:18:08 PM

I purchased a sata optical drive of amazon that's already on its way. Thanks!

I don't yet have a graphics card yet, was going to wait for the 570 (short wait), and there's no on board video. So I'm unable to check the bios just yet.

If the mobo's pins weren't straight enough and I put the chip in, I'm assuming I'm going to have to repurchase both a new mobo and cpu, or is this something I'd be able to RMA?

*sigh* playing the waiting game.
m
l
December 6, 2010 9:22:48 PM

Most likely the MB.
m
l
December 11, 2010 1:18:00 AM

Turns out I worried for nothing.

My computer booted up, and I experienced no problems. Somehow everything just worked together perfectly. :pt1cable:  I currently have a wei score of 7.5 :bounce:  Couldn't be happier.
m
l
!