Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU for gaming (not overclocking)

Last response: in CPUs
March 2, 2011 7:27:09 AM

Hi guys,

I plan to get a hold of a ASUS Sabertooth P67 as soon as I can, and for that I ofcouse need a CPU. I settled on the Sabertooth board because I prefer stability and quality over tweaking and speed.

Everyone seems to say that the i5-2500K is the way to go, but if I don't ever plan on overclocking it, is there any resason to get it over a regular i5-2500?
I have bought an ASUS GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX CUDA so I really have no use for the "better" intefrated graphics card do I?

Thanks for a great community guys :D 
March 2, 2011 8:59:33 AM

Peukon said:
Hi guys,

I plan to get a hold of a ASUS Sabertooth P67 as soon as I can, and for that I ofcouse need a CPU. I settled on the Sabertooth board because I prefer stability and quality over tweaking and speed.

Everyone seems to say that the i5-2500K is the way to go, but if I don't ever plan on overclocking it, is there any resason to get it over a regular i5-2500?
I have bought an ASUS GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX CUDA so I really have no use for the "better" intefrated graphics card do I?

Thanks for a great community guys :D 

IMO since the price difference is small its better to get the K because later on you may change your mind or if you decide to sell it, it maybe more desirable for the buyer.
The integrated graphics might come in handy if gtx 570 develops a fault and you need to operate the PC in the meantime :p 
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2011 2:34:16 PM

I agree with noble. It doesn't cost much more, and it leaves you with options in the future... But, at stock performance you wont see much of a difference for gaming. So, if you have the extra $30 or so, i would say go for the 'K.'
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2011 8:16:12 PM

If you are sure you will not overclock, then go with the "regular" i5-2500. Personally I would go with the i5-2500K since I do overclock.
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2011 8:57:19 PM

Go for the 2500k and you should overclock it - having such a cpu without overclocking it would be like owning a Bugatti Veyron and driving it within speed limits ;)  Seriously, this is the best and easiest for overclocking cpu. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-overcl... , although this is for 2600k.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 5:51:12 AM

Get the "K". A couple of years down the road, when games require more CPU horsepower, you will be glad you did.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2011 7:19:44 AM

+1 to jsc. Even the price difference of $30? You sure it's so much? Where I get my stuffs from, the prices don't differ at all, it's exactly the same...

But yes, go for the unlocked CPU. Muuuuch better value for money (when it comes to future-proofing).
!