Looking to upgrade my 4870

myleslambert

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Hey,
I'm looking for a bit of advice for where to look for my next GPU upgrade, I currently have a 512mb ATI Radeon HD 4870 coupled with an i7 overclocked to 3.4ghz and 9GB of memory, my main reason for looking to upgrade is that the 512mb is really holding me back for the industry I'm in.

I've heard that your best putting an intel cpu with an nvidia gpu - but I don't know if that's just rumours. I'd like to go with Nvidia anyway if that's preferable just because I've had issues with ATI's Driver for realtime rendering. My budget is around £200 ($320 roughly) and I'm looking for something with at least 1GB of ram and something that can last me for some time, I've looked around at a lot of the articles but they leave me with still far too much choice!

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I'd really appreciate it,
Thanks!

If this is for professional use it may pay you to look at the software you are using and check out the relevant forum/s before spending a penny.
Both AMD and Nvidia offer professional cards under the Fire and Quadro names respectively and although expensive may be a better chioce for a serious workstation and applications.
For more general use, Rolli59 gets my vote, though, good chioces keenly priced.

myleslambert

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks rolli, I'll take a look at both those cards - And yeah I definitly agree which is why I wanted to be sure I made the right choice.

Coozie - Will do, thanks!