No POST due to unsupported processor?

Glacier_888

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hi, I bought a BB Pundit 6-M4A3000E barebones system. No videocard installed, I'm using one of the internal outputs.
After installing a CPU, memory, SSD and DVD-burner, it didn't POST (no video, no beeps, no flashing keyboard lights (USB)).
The CPU fan powers up but there's an oscillating sound coming from it (about 20 times) then the oscillating stops. Sounds a bit like the fan is being restarted.

I've already tried many things. Before coming up with details about that, I'd like to be sure that the processor is not the problem, because technically it's not supported.
I'm using an Athlon II x3 450 (3,2 GHz). This one is not (yet) on the supported CPU list.
The list goes until 445 (3,1 GHz). Could this be the reason the system doesn't POST?
I'd still expect working video with an error message, or just a lower speed.

When I remove everything except for the CPU, I get 1 long + 2 short beeps indicating a memory failure. So this implies the CPU is working.

beenthere

Distinguished
Yes if the BIOS does not recognise the CPU I.D. then it may not boot. You should check the mobo makers website to see if there is a newer BIOS that supports the CPU model you have.

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

If the BIOS lacks CPUID information you get one of (2) two outcomes: 1. Dummied-Down CPU, 2. Post Failure. Clearly, you have the later. Fixes: 1. Update the BIOS that supports the CPU, 2. Exchange the CPU, 3. Exchange the MOBO (barebone system). However, IF only a later BIOS supports the CPU and you have a Post Failure then you MUST use a supported CPU as a 'Donor CPU' or have a MOBO that doesn't require a CPU {some ASUS MOBO's some ROG editions}.

Assuming you made a typo, the Pundit P6-M4A3000E (ASUS P6-M4A3000E) - http://www.asus.com/Barebone_PC/P_Series_0811L/P6M4A3000E/#CPUS does not support your CPU, and only BIOS versio 0304 is available. IMO the simplest solution is to exchange you AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz for e.g. AMD Phenom IIX4 945.

Good Luck! :)

Glacier_888

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Some feedback. It turned out the mobo doesn't support this memory. In fact, it doesn't support any 4 Gb DIMMs at all. :heink:
The system works just fine with a 2 Gb DIMM. Will add one later.