Question about my computer setup/ 2 computers 2 monitors

I have question about my setup want to have 2 computers and 2 monitors. So hears what i want to have my macbook pro and dell desktop both plugged into the same two monitors at the same time and just switch over when I need to use to the two monitors with the macbook or the dell desktop without switch cables around. I was thinking of using a vga switch box but i cant find 1 for my needs. The cheaper the better. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about question computer setup computers monitors
  1. Are you even capable of dual monitoring(two external monitors) with just the Mac Book Air or does it only allow for 1 video output by itself? If it is (which I didn't think it was) you could use a Dual monitor KVM switch (personally don't have very many good experiences w/ KVM switches - usually some issue arises w/ compatibility). But from the way you've described what you want it doesn't seem practical. I assume the Mac Book will remain portable (which means plugging and unplugging anyways). The other option is a virtual KVM(synergy2, KaVoom etc.) or RDP software (both computers will need to be on) .

Free Alternative that may work:
    http://www.avidardik.com/2006/03/28/a-guide-to-building-a-software-kvm-switch/

If you have extra money to throw at it check out this link
    http://www.macxperience.com/2010/07/11/connecting-multiple-external-monitors-macbooks/
  2. I think you can get KVM switches that will work with multiple monitors but they are relatively expensive. I have a mac mini next to my desktop PC, but only one monitor. I wanted to buy a KVM switch and then one day I noticed that newegg had a real low priced on one sale that had very good reviews so I bought one. The cheapest and most common KVM switches use VGA monitors so I had to switch my monitor from a DVI cable to a VGA cable, and put an adapter on the back of my desktop PC. Anyway this cheap KVM works great. It might be possible for you to get 2 cheap KVM switches, put your mouse/keyboard/1 monitor on the first KVM, and only a monitor on the second KVM.
  3. or you can just buy 2 monitors with 2 inputs and press the input select button whenever you want to switch pcs?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Switch Computers Monitors Graphics