Audio driver installed but no "playback device" in the list

thyagotc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hey ppl!

I'm having a problem setting up the onboard audio in Windows 7 for a Gigabyte 945GCM-S2l motherboard.

The driver is installed ok, it appears on "Device Manager" under "System Devices" group, named "High Definition Audio Controller", but in the system tray Sound icon, there is a red alert saying that there is no audio device.
Looking into "Sound" Playback tab, there are no items.

I've already tested the latest drivers (for Windows 7) from Gigabyte website and also from Realtek, both appears as "High Definition Audio Controller" but no "playback device" appears. I have also tried removing all audio drivers using "DriverCleaner Pro" before installing, but no success.

When I remove the driver and restarts the computer, Windows automatically detect it and install again. But it never appears in the "Playback devices" list, and the system tray audio icon always shows the red alert.

Anyone knows what more I can do? I really appreciate any effort! :)

Solution
Go to msconfig>service and see if Window Audio is unticked. Tick it if it is unticked.

Can you also go to device manager and click the "scan for hardware change" button then disable your sound device and re-enable it.

I know it is a feeble attempt. But it sounds like the Window service is not picking up your already detected hardware. Hopefully that will reset it.

I am running out of ideas.
Did you have iZ3D driver installed or other recent driver/software installation?

I had that problem before and I found that iZ3D driver was interfering with the Window Audio process during start up. I change the iZ3D driver to start up automatic (delayed) and they run ok.

Otherwise try this:

In computer management>service and applications>service

make sure that Windows Audio is set to run automatically and process dependent on it is also set to automatic. And select restart service on recovery.

thyagotc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Thanks for your reply Pyree! Unfortunately the driver was the first one set just after Win 7 64bit was installed. I have removed all audio drivers and installed again, but no success anyway.
About the Windows Audio service, it is already configured like that. I also restarted the service, but no change. :(

frankstr2196

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I had a simular problem with my hp (which I put in a new case
thats when I started having that issue) I just ended up putting a sound card I had laying around (soundblaster) from an old pc I had and it took care of it.

Go to msconfig>service and see if Window Audio is unticked. Tick it if it is unticked.

Can you also go to device manager and click the "scan for hardware change" button then disable your sound device and re-enable it.

I know it is a feeble attempt. But it sounds like the Window service is not picking up your already detected hardware. Hopefully that will reset it.

I am running out of ideas.

Solution

thyagotc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
The service is ticked on msconfig.
this enable/re-enable thing I didnt tried, just checked it now, but no success. :(

I have only one more idea: Reinstall windows Vista and check if sound works again.
But I will not lose time with that anymore, I will do what frankstr2196 did.. buy a Creative 5.1+ PCI card, at least my Inspiron 5.1 will work better than this 2.1 onboard.

Thanks for your help!