Problems with XP on new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

sargeth

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Problems:
When booting, my system crashes every time I try to load Windows normally, after the Windows loading bar. I am given a generic BSOD (update BIOS, update drivers, check video adapter, etc.). I am able to boot just fine in Safe Mode.

When attempting to reinstall XP using an Upgrade CD, the program is unable to detect the previously installed version of XP, and thus does not allow me to proceed.

New Rig:
CPU: AthlonII X4 925
Mainboard: Biostar A770E3
RAM: Wintec 2x2gb DDR3 1333
PSU: Thermaltake 600W

Old Rig:
CPU: Pentium E5200 2.5GHz
Mainboard: ASRock 4CoreDual SATA R2.0
RAM: GSkill 2x1gb DDR2
PSU: Thermaltake 430W

Both Rigs:
HDD: Seagate SATA 1TB 7200
DVD Drive

Attempts to Fix:
I have downloaded and installed the latest Motherboard drivers, from their website. I have flashed the latest BIOS, from the same. I have updated the drivers on my VC, from the Nvidia website.

Before the 2nd Problem cropped up, I was able to Repair my XP installation back to SP2. This did not fix the problem.

I am able to boot off of an Ubuntu LiveCD with no problems.

Note that when I switch my HDD back to my old rig, everything works as normal, using the same Windows install. When I boot off of the Upgrade CD, on my old rig, the CD detects the Windows install just fine. However, I should probably install Windows from my new rig, rather than my old one.

Any suggestions?

Solution
+1 on a fresh Windows XP install. You can attempt to boot into safe mode and update drivers, but the ideal way of performing that upgrade is on a newly formatted partition. If you didn't copy your data off, use your old PC to do so before continuing in the new system.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I apologize if you spelled this out and I missed it, but. Are you trying to run 1 HDD between 2 PC's? When you installed HDD in new PC did you also install a fresh copy (with format) of OS? I have had issues when fiddling with spare parts and HDD's loaded with previous PC's data, drivers, etc. If you have not wiped drive and installed fresh OS while disk is in new build I would consider that could potentially be your issue.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I reread it and found that my adivce was wrong. Do what I did when I got an XP upgrade. I had in the past bought other copies of windows, but I could not find them, so i downloaded a new copy of 98 onto a disc and used that instead when it came to reformatting.

Doesnt it ask for a CD if it does not detect an older copy on the HDD?

+1 on a fresh Windows XP install. You can attempt to boot into safe mode and update drivers, but the ideal way of performing that upgrade is on a newly formatted partition. If you didn't copy your data off, use your old PC to do so before continuing in the new system.

Solution

sargeth

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, after doing a bit more research, a fresh install on a new partition seems like the way to go. Big hassle, though, especially since it can't detect my current installation. I don't remember having to do this last time I upgraded Mainboards.

Do you think that the inability of the XP Upgrade CD to find the previously installed copy is related to the above problem? Does anyone know of any workarounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.