Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell XPS 420 needed, can't find anything but conflicting information

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2010 7:40:36 PM

Hi there guys,

I realise I'm a new member and I hope that my sudden need for help and popping up on these forums won't deter you from helping me as any help is greatly appreciated :) 

A few days ago my Dell XPS 420 with a 375W PSU decided to completely pack up on me for about 20 minutes and display nothing but odd red blocks of colours after a blue screen and a reboot, the best I can describe the red blocks round my screen whilst my computer is booting up is tetris.

After coming to the conclusion that it's most likely to do with my graphics card I have throughly researched possible alternatives for my graphics card for which my PSU will be able to support, I am open to the recommendation of a new PSU but again anything on forums that I found seemed to say the Dell XPS 420's PSU can or can't be changed basically due to Dell being pretty crap.

I am interested in a 9600 GT or 9800 GT. I'd appreciate any input you may be able to give if either of these graphics cards will run off a 375W PSU and if not what type of PSU may be supported.

October 10, 2010 8:06:19 PM

Let's have you do the homework... What does the video card demand as to power, and what connectors are needed to supply that load? I'll spoon feed you, the Dell P/S is the minimum spec so Dell can sell their computers cheap, look for a brand name P/S, 450 watts or better, the video card SHOULD come with the adapters for power... and yeah, this will actually cost you some money...
Related resources
October 10, 2010 8:18:42 PM

marcellis22 said:
Let's have you do the homework... What does the video card demand as to power, and what connectors are needed to supply that load? I'll spoon feed you, the Dell P/S is the minimum spec so Dell can sell their computers cheap, look for a brand name P/S, 450 watts or better, the video card SHOULD come with the adapters for power... and yeah, this will actually cost you some money...

I'm pretty sure the 9800GT requires 400W of power but again I've found nothing but useless information really as some day my current PSU will support it and some say it won't. I found on the Dell forums that the PSU need to have 6X Sata cables I think. The only problem I have with changing the PSU is that I've read on a few forums that anything above 425W won't be supported, can you shed any light if this is true otherwise I won't have a problem buying a 500/600w PSU
October 10, 2010 8:26:16 PM

I'm worried about the dimensions of the PSU aswell as is seems that the Dell PSU's dimensions differ from most retailed PSU's, any ideas what you would recommend?
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 8:26:20 PM

Quote:
Whoever said you that is an ediot.You can easily upgrade your psu to any size you like.

Not necessarily. Some OEM can only fit small PSU's.
a b U Graphics card
October 10, 2010 10:39:50 PM

nathhh said:
Hi there guys,

I realise I'm a new member and I hope that my sudden need for help and popping up on these forums won't deter you from helping me as any help is greatly appreciated :) 

A few days ago my Dell XPS 420 with a 375W PSU decided to completely pack up on me for about 20 minutes and display nothing but odd red blocks of colours after a blue screen and a reboot, the best I can describe the red blocks round my screen whilst my computer is booting up is tetris.

After coming to the conclusion that it's most likely to do with my graphics card I have throughly researched possible alternatives for my graphics card for which my PSU will be able to support, I am open to the recommendation of a new PSU but again anything on forums that I found seemed to say the Dell XPS 420's PSU can or can't be changed basically due to Dell being pretty crap.

I am interested in a 9600 GT or 9800 GT. I'd appreciate any input you may be able to give if either of these graphics cards will run off a 375W PSU and if not what type of PSU may be supported.

These threads are always amusing.
Your 375w psu can handle pretty much any card that requires a single 6 pin pcie power connector.
Your power supply can be upgraded with almost any standard ATX unit, some of the big 1000w units won't fit and some big 750's would be a tight squeeze, but there's not much point in a psu that powerful in the 420.
October 10, 2010 11:46:17 PM

delluser1 said:
Your 375w psu can handle pretty much any card that requires a single 6 pin pcie power connector.
Your power supply can be upgraded with almost any standard ATX unit, some of the big 1000w units won't fit and some big 750's would be a tight squeeze, but there's not much point in a psu that powerful in the 420.

Sure they are, and I agree..I've trawled through an unbelievable amount of forums to see a lot of people complaining about the same thing with no definitive answer.

Thanks for your help though mate
October 10, 2010 11:50:49 PM

delluser1 said:

would a http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf9/9800gt_... be fine, despite it being min req 500w?
a b U Graphics card
October 11, 2010 10:48:25 AM

nathhh said:
would a http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf9/9800gt_... be fine, despite it being min req 500w?

That's a pretty high power reccomendation, they must be smoking some good stuff.
The card in your link doesn't require external power, the standard reccomendation from Nvidia for a 9800GT that does is 400 watts and that's bloated to make up for the fact that generic power supplies often won't provide the needed amperage.
October 12, 2010 10:11:05 AM

Hi there,

I apologise for the slow reply my computer has been extremely tempermental and hasn't been starting up at all for me - on the bright side I managed to take a couple of pictures of what's actually happening on boot:

Perhaps you may have any suggestions as to what is causing this, I just automatically presumed it was entirely graphics card base (8600GTS 1GB)
a b U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 10:43:43 AM

Yeah, that isnt normal...pretty...but not normal :lol: 
October 12, 2010 11:07:56 AM

haha, I certainly didn't enjoy it!
October 12, 2010 11:29:30 AM

Best answer selected by nathhh.
October 12, 2010 11:30:00 AM

thanks for your help guys :) 
i'll let you know how it goes.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 12, 2010 11:55:54 AM