Does something like this exist?

I'm sure all of you with TN monitors are aware with the problems associated with viewing angle and gamma curves. On my 22'' LG monitor I notice a big difference in gamma even from the top of the screen to the bottom. It's very off-putting in movies, and makes calibrating my display a real pain.

I can think of two possible solutions to this problem.

Firstly, a program to generate a gamma 'gradient', if you will, that covers the entire screen and corrects for gamma differences at the top and bottom. It would probably be pretty simple to make and shouldn't take up much resources.

Secondly, a thin acrylic sheet with a printed gradient, similar to the filters lighting technicians use. This would be much expensive and probably would require customised gradients for each customer.

My question is, do either of these, or similar solutions to this problem exist?
4 answers Last reply
More about does exist
  1. The solution is to buy an IPS based monitor. Only one AFAIK but could be wrong.
  2. Have not seen it.
  3. Try not to post the same question twice.

    The 1st solution exists for high end monitors like my NEC LCD2690WUXi. It is called ColorComp and it makes colors as consistent as possible across the entire screen. Since the monitor is doing some video processing it will increase input lag (minor delay when doing an action on the controls and when it is displayed on screen). This is also adds an additional cost to the monitor which may be too much for some people to consider purchasing.

    My NEC LCD2690WUXi and my Planar PX2611w both use the same H-IPS panel. However, the NEC includes additional electronics to improve color quality and consistency. The price difference between these two monitors? $500. The NEC cost $1,300 and the Planar was just under $800.

    The 2nd idea is impractical because it might have to be a unique gradient for each monitor, and then more unique gradients for each specific applications.
  4. ^ Sorry, I realised I posted it in the wrong section.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Gamma Graphics