Sign in with
Your question

Chosing a GTX460 and a PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2010 8:21:10 PM

I was looking for options for a card and PSU upgrade; The_OGS suggested a GTX460 and an OCZ
StealthXStream. There are quite a few brands of GTX460 1GB, which is best if I'm not looking for anything overclocked or doesn't it matter that it's overclocked? Are there types of PSUs in terms dimensions or are they a standard size and I just screw it in place of the one that's there?

preston

More about : chosing gtx460 psu

October 10, 2010 10:28:51 PM

MSI/EVGA/Gigabyte/Asus are great brands. I read lots of reviews, and use newwggs consumer reviews.
Unless you need a m ATX PSU they should all fit. Pay attention to cable length though and shoot for a major brand like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic etc. Use a PSU calculator. I think www.antec.com has one. Dont under power your system and dont go cheap on the PSU either. I would say a 550 watt is a min spec to give you some room. 650 would be even better. Be sure it has 2 6 pin PCIe lines or you'll have to use a molex to PCIe adapter.
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
a c 272 ) Power supply
October 10, 2010 11:09:41 PM

Most PSUs are standard size, the opening at the back of the case is a set size, they do vary in length which can be problematic in a really short case but usually doesnt matter. The only ones that arent obviously a strange shape that wont fit in a normal case are the Antec CP series, they are a much larger opening at the back.

Rather than an OCZ PSU, check out Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, or XFX, a good 650W unit from one of them will support SLI'd GTX 460s down the line which is a nice upgrade option to have, they are also solid units that you dont need to worry about.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2010 8:58:39 PM

g048989h said:
MSI/EVGA/Gigabyte/Asus are great brands. I read lots of reviews, and use newwggs consumer reviews.
Unless you need a m ATX PSU they should all fit. Pay attention to cable length though and shoot for a major brand like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic etc. Use a PSU calculator. I think www.antec.com has one. Dont under power your system and dont go cheap on the PSU either. I would say a 550 watt is a min spec to give you some room. 650 would be even better. Be sure it has 2 6 pin PCIe lines or you'll have to use a molex to PCIe adapter.

Thanks for the info, I think I'm going with a Corsair 650 and a MSI 460GTX.
m
l
October 13, 2010 8:59:40 PM

hunter315 said:
Most PSUs are standard size, the opening at the back of the case is a set size, they do vary in length which can be problematic in a really short case but usually doesnt matter. The only ones that arent obviously a strange shape that wont fit in a normal case are the Antec CP series, they are a much larger opening at the back.

Rather than an OCZ PSU, check out Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, or XFX, a good 650W unit from one of them will support SLI'd GTX 460s down the line which is a nice upgrade option to have, they are also solid units that you dont need to worry about.

Thanks for the info, I think I'm going with a Corsair 650 and a MSI 460GTX.
m
l
!