Sign in with
Your question

ASRock motherboard: No video!

Last response: in Motherboards
November 5, 2011 8:02:45 PM

I've just assembled what is intended to be a fileserver using an ASRock H67M-ITX/HT motherboard. This board is advertised as having on-board video. Here's a summary of the key components:

Case: LIAN LI PC-Q08B
Ram: 8Gb (Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800))
CPU: Intel Pentium G840 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz LGA 1155 65W
SSD: 64Gb Crucial M4
HDD: Haven't connected that yet

When I power it up, the fans work but there is nothing on my monitor (it doesn't even come up from sleep mode). I've tried switching out different RAM, confirmed that the monitor is good, cable to monitor is good, tried DVI and VGA connections, even obtained a second identical model motherboard and tried that.... In all cases, no video...

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
November 5, 2011 9:52:43 PM

While waiting for a response to this thread, I've continued reading to try and find out why there's no video...

I noticed that the ASRock information states that this board supports "Dual Channel DDR3 1333", but I've installed the DDR3 1600 RAM (noted above)...

Could that explain why I'm getting no video output? Wouldn't faster RAM still work (albeit maybe not at it's full potential)?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2011 1:13:43 AM

Just to start, the on die video in not on the board. The board specs say -
Onboard Video Chipset - - - - - None
Your video is actually on the cpu that relays the video through the motherboard's rear panel ports. Sound like a jerk, I know, Just wanted to clarify.

But, if you have verified that all other components work, monitor, cable and board powers up, not to mention that this is the second board, then the only things left are the cpu since that's where the graphics are and the memory.
Do you have a motherboard speaker attached? Getting any beep codes? Tried tapping the delete key to get into bios and see if the screen lights up? Do the board lights and fans stay running when you turn it on or do they cycle on and off at whatever intervals? Do you have or can you borrow a friend's vid card to check it that way? Leave all the memory out and see if it does the same thing?

As for the memory, the 1600 memory should run fine and yes it will run at the 1333 speed until you go into bios and set the overclock to 1600. This is the support list for the Kingston 1600 memory, Is one of these what you have installed?

DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX1600C7D3K2/4GX - - - - - - 2pcs
DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX - - - - - - 2pcs
DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3LK2/4GX - - - - - 2pcs
DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3T1K3/6GX - - - - 2pcs
DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3X2K2/4GX - - - - 2pcs
DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3X1K2/4G - - - - - 2pcs
DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX12800D3K2/4G - - - - - - - - 2pcs
DDR3 1600 2GB Kingston KHX12800D3/2G - - - - - - - - - -2pcs
I don't see anything about hyperX blue but these are the numbers given by asrock as supported and tested for your board. The list I'm sure is not all inclusive for kingston's memory that might work but it is for what the mobo manufacturer guarantees to work. You said switch out different ram but does that mean the same memory in different slots or different memory brands? Is it easier to exchange the ram for one of the above mentioned models? I'm also noticing that you have 8 GB's of ram and all the supported Kingston ram is only for 2 GB stick per slot. I see other memory that has 4 GB stick per slot is supported so maybe you should try some of that. Memory's usually easier to exchange then cpu's in my experience. Check the LIST HERE and see if you can get something off this list. If it were me I would try that first.
m
l
!