When will Cingular get the I-mate Jam?

mc wrote:

> There is an appropriate triband model available; what's the holdup?
Which three modes? UMTS is what is being built out right now and I see TDMA
and GSM fading out in time. I'm using UMTS via a Data card here in Seattle
and it overdelivers from the advertised claims and has a lot less latency
than GSM and non EV-DO CDMA.
--
Dave

mc wrote:

> There is an appropriate triband model available; what's the holdup?
I looked and this device isn't due out yet until next month but yup, as far
as network protocols, it's almost obsolete already. Too bad so much effort
was put into this high tech kitchen sink and blender. My guess is that
Cingular may not ever offer it but rather, a worthy item that supercedes
it.
--
Dave

In article <XyKce.3$6E3.2012@news.uswest.net>,
eat_your_own_spam@hormel.com says...
> mc wrote:
>
> > There is an appropriate triband model available; what's the holdup?
> Which three modes? UMTS is what is being built out right now and I see TDMA
> and GSM fading out in time. I'm using UMTS via a Data card here in Seattle
> and it overdelivers from the advertised claims and has a lot less latency
> than GSM and non EV-DO CDMA.

Think the OP was referring to the 850/1800/1900 mhz model now being
available for US customers. The Jam is GSM/GPRS not TDMA.

> as far as network protocols, it's almost obsolete already.

A bit harse don't you think? As a combined PocketPC/GSM phone it's the
smallest most compact unit now available. Not everyone needs higher
speeds than GPRS.

Cingular may be delaying on the Jam because there is no model available
WITHOUT the camera. Remember that Cingular specifically waited for the
no-camera version of the SX66 (i-Mate PDA 2K). With more and more
places banning cameras anyone with a combined pda/phone will be MUCH
more impacted than someone with a phone/camera if forced to leave it at
the counter or at home because it included a camera--they would be
losing not only the phone but the pda also. I for one would be lost in
meetings etc without the pda--the camera is one of the reasons I haven't
ordered the 850 Jam online--that and the lack of wiFi in the current
model.

--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Jud Hardcastle wrote:

> In article <XyKce.3$6E3.2012@news.uswest.net>,
> eat_your_own_spam@hormel.com says...
>> mc wrote:
>>
>> > There is an appropriate triband model available; what's the holdup?
>> Which three modes? UMTS is what is being built out right now and I see
>> TDMA and GSM fading out in time. I'm using UMTS via a Data card here in
>> Seattle and it overdelivers from the advertised claims and has a lot less
>> latency than GSM and non EV-DO CDMA.
>>

> Think the OP was referring to the 850/1800/1900 mhz model now being
> available for US customers. The Jam is GSM/GPRS not TDMA.
>
>> as far as network protocols, it's almost obsolete already.
>
> A bit harse don't you think? As a combined PocketPC/GSM phone it's the
> smallest most compact unit now available. Not everyone needs higher
> speeds than GPRS.
>
> Cingular may be delaying on the Jam because there is no model available
> WITHOUT the camera. Remember that Cingular specifically waited for the
> no-camera version of the SX66 (i-Mate PDA 2K). With more and more
> places banning cameras anyone with a combined pda/phone will be MUCH
> more impacted than someone with a phone/camera if forced to leave it at
> the counter or at home because it included a camera--they would be
> losing not only the phone but the pda also. I for one would be lost in
> meetings etc without the pda--the camera is one of the reasons I haven't
> ordered the 850 Jam online--that and the lack of wiFi in the current
> model.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh. Yes, the cameras should not be on every
device available. I understand the banning of cameras all too well as I'm
an Avionics Technician and most places require a camera pass from security
and the project I'm on right now, it's forbidden. I'm just happy we can
even use cell phones at work at all, I wouldn't want to push the privilege.
--
Dave