Help: Spyder2 yields color cast after calibrating LCD screen

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
January 19, 2005 5:58:58 AM

Hi

I have recently taken the 1st step towards color management - I bought
the Spyder2 package from Colorvision (not the Pro version) and had
tried several times to calibrate my Samsung SyncMaster 191T+ 19" LCD
screen.

Initially I got a significant color cast (yellow) after calibration
using default target "2.2-6500K". After reading Colorvision’s FAQ on
such problem, I repeated the same process using target "2.2-Native",
which reduced the color cast significantly, but not completely. I am
not sure why/what the new target is for.

The color cast is obvious, as at the end of the calibration process
the Spyder2 sw toggles a reference image BEFORE, then AFTER. The
BEFORE image would appear neutral, but the AFTER image has yellow
cast.

Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do next?

Posted using the http://www.photoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Topic URL: http://www.photoforumz.com/General-Help-Spyder2-yields-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.photoforumz.com/eform.php?p=158484
January 19, 2005 5:58:59 AM

"colddude" <UseLinkToEmail@photoforumz.com> wrote in message news:41ee1342$1_5@alt.athenanews.com...
> Hi
>
> I have recently taken the 1st step towards color management - I bought
> the Spyder2 package from Colorvision (not the Pro version) and had
> tried several times to calibrate my Samsung SyncMaster 191T+ 19" LCD
> screen.
>
> Initially I got a significant color cast (yellow) after calibration
> using default target "2.2-6500K". After reading Colorvision's FAQ on
> such problem, I repeated the same process using target "2.2-Native",
> which reduced the color cast significantly, but not completely. I am
> not sure why/what the new target is for.
>
> The color cast is obvious, as at the end of the calibration process
> the Spyder2 sw toggles a reference image BEFORE, then AFTER. The
> BEFORE image would appear neutral, but the AFTER image has yellow
> cast.
>
> Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do next?

If all you've ever used is 9300K, 6500K will look too yellow
at first. Give your eyes several days to adjust to the new setting.

A quick way to check is to put the monitor near a window with
sunlight coming in, and hold up a piece of white paper next to
the screen. 6500K should look about the same color, and
9300K (the "before" image) should look too blue.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:26:29 AM

Tom wrote:
> "colddude" <UseLinkToEmail@photoforumz.com> wrote in message news:41ee1342$1_5@alt.athenanews.com...
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have recently taken the 1st step towards color management - I bought
>>the Spyder2 package from Colorvision (not the Pro version) and had
>>tried several times to calibrate my Samsung SyncMaster 191T+ 19" LCD
>>screen.
>>
>>Initially I got a significant color cast (yellow) after calibration
>>using default target "2.2-6500K". After reading Colorvision's FAQ on
>>such problem, I repeated the same process using target "2.2-Native",
>>which reduced the color cast significantly, but not completely. I am
>>not sure why/what the new target is for.
>>
>>The color cast is obvious, as at the end of the calibration process
>>the Spyder2 sw toggles a reference image BEFORE, then AFTER. The
>>BEFORE image would appear neutral, but the AFTER image has yellow
>>cast.
>>
>>Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do next?
>

> If all you've ever used is 9300K, 6500K will look too yellow
> at first. Give your eyes several days to adjust to the new setting.
>
> A quick way to check is to put the monitor near a window with
> sunlight coming in, and hold up a piece of white paper next to
> the screen. 6500K should look about the same color, and
> 9300K (the "before" image) should look too blue.

Nother thing: the little test showing before and after is meaningless.
FWIW, on my third go with same equipment, I got it right, but I use a
gamma of 1.8. Double check to see that it's set for LCD calibration.

--
John McWilliams
January 19, 2005 2:37:05 PM

"If all you've ever used is 9300K, 6500K will look too yellow
at first. Give your eyes several days to adjust to the new setting."

I would have used the world "orange" rather than "yellow", but after a
couple of days your eyes will adjust and all will apear normal.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:55:54 AM

<MitchAlsup@aol.com> wrote in message
> "If all you've ever used is 9300K, 6500K will look too yellow
> at first. Give your eyes several days to adjust to the new setting."
>
> I would have used the world "orange" rather than "yellow", but after a
> couple of days your eyes will adjust and all will apear normal.

Absolutely. You are just used to looking at 'electric blue' whites. It took me
more than a few days to get used to it, but I wouldn't have it any other way
now.
!