Tags:
  • New Build
  • SATA
  • Hard Drives
  • DVD Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2010 6:36:34 PM

I have an Intel D945GCCR Motherboard with both SATA and IDE hard drive connectors... I have one each SATA and IDE hard drives and CD/DVD ROM with IDE connector. I have the IDE set as master and and the CD/DVD ROM set as slave and the system runs as it should except The SATA hard drive as no Drive Letter. It shows up in the BIOS and shows in my disk management as healthy, basic and online. As I said there is no Drive Letter designation and I can't access the "change drive letter and paths" action as it is subdued. The SATA drive is not empty... it has umbuntu OS on it. Could this be my problem? Please advise. Thank you for your time. Scott

More about : combine sata dvd drive ide dvd drive

December 6, 2010 2:03:20 PM

1. Can't put SATA and IDE on same controller, as controller must be set to IDE mode to work with IDE devices and hence will not work with SATA.

2. If the OS was from another system then you may also have issues of it confliciting with windows. However, this should still let you view the drive unless

3. Is the drive formatted as ext3? If so windows will not recognize it. Must be NTFS or FAT32.
m
l
December 6, 2010 4:56:31 PM

Thank you for a speedy reply! I will have to check the drive formatting thanks for that info. I'm not understanding what you mean by "controller". Forgive me I am a greenhorn at this... I know enough to get me into trouble but not enough to get me out. is controller synonymous with motherboard in this case? I'm not using anything on the SATA HD should I erase the OS from it and try again? Again, thank you for your time. Scott
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2010 6:57:36 PM

On the motherboard, each group of connectors, either IDE or SATA are connected to a controller which controls interaction between the device and the CPU.

A controller can be set to work with either IDE or SATA. It can't run both types of devices simultaneously. It's set in the BIOS of the motherboard. Consult mobo manual for detailed directions on how to change it.

m
l
December 13, 2010 6:31:05 PM

banthracis said:
On the motherboard, each group of connectors, either IDE or SATA are connected to a controller which controls interaction between the device and the CPU.

A controller can be set to work with either IDE or SATA. It can't run both types of devices simultaneously. It's set in the BIOS of the motherboard. Consult mobo manual for detailed directions on how to change it.

Thank you for your help! I have a much better grasp on it now.
m
l