What drivers do i need?

statikteck

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Ok so just bought a comp about too install everything(first time builder) and from my understanding is the best way too do this is after installing everything then install windows then drivers.my question is what drivers do i need besides motherboard and video card is there anything else? also i was told the best way too do this is too download the drivers on a thumb drive from a already built comp and just install onto the new one but there lies the problem i have no idea what drivers i need.So my question is out of this list what drivers do i need(will provide link too my mobo download page) and on the list for instance you will see bio's and there are four different downloads in that category what one specifically do i need? Sorry this has too be a huge noob question but i don't want too mess something up and was told the drivers CD that your mobo comes with will most likely be out of date. :D

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z68-V%20PRO&p=1&s=39&os=30&hashedid=JjlGHLJGJPFfGCFA

suteck

Distinguished
If you bought a motherboard by itself and new they usually come with a driver disk. On that disk are the drivers helpful to running the board at it's peak as well as additional software such as overclocking, manual, utilities and sometimes antivirus/spyware trial software. After you put it all together you can then install windows, unless you are planning on running in raid mode then you will need to insert your driver/utilities disk during the os installation when it asks and install the raid drivers off of that. After the raid and/or os system install you can then go to the manufacturer's website and it will give you a list of all available driver software for download. You can use the disk provided or download from the website. The website's drivers are usually more up to date if the motherboard's release date is a couple months/years old. Usually when you install the os it will install drivers for most of your hardware but it's just the basics needed to make it work, not the best or recommended way to keep it.
You ask about other drivers. Download and install the video card drivers from the video card manufacturer's website like you mentioned. The only other drivers usually needed are for peripheral hardware such as printers, faxes, copiers, modem and/or router and things like that. Each piece of hardware usually comes with a disk or you can download the ones from the manufacturer's websites as well. Not sure who or where you got the information about using drivers from an already built computer because that's just not anywhere near anything doable. Finding someone who has a complete duplicate build like yours is impossible if you built it yourself. Just use the one's downloaded from the website, save them to your desktop when you download them. They usually come as .exe (executables), so all you have to do is unzip and double click, agree, accept, yes yes yes, you know the drill. And as for what drivers you need - If there are 2 or several of the same drivers just get the last one, with the newest date. But unless you're having trouble with your motherboard you probably won't need to update your bios. Those are a little trickier, and dangerous if you make a mistake, than driver updates.

When you see this -
Intel Gigabit Ethernet Driver V16.5.0.0 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL)
File Size
108,37 (MBytes) 2011.10.31 update
and this
Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V15.6.0.0 for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows 7.(WHQL)
File Size
120,77 (MBytes) 2011.10.21 update
Pick the newest.

And if you're going to update the bios use the same thing, The newest, they incorporate all previous updates also.
This one
P8Z68-V PRO 0902 BIOS
1. Enable support for Next Gen 22nm Processor.
File Size
2,65 (MBytes) 2011.10.06 update

statikteck

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Thanks a tton just got my comp setup this morning and replying from it your message helped alot and everything seems too be working great.