Is it ok to remove cpu from cooler for just a min w/o reapplying paste

i removed my cpu from cpu cooler last night for a minute to reposition it but didn't reapply thermal paste or glue or whatever its called. how serious is this?
7 answers Last reply
More about remove cooler reapplying paste
  1. It depends If the paste was dry you most likely have reduced its ability to transfer heat from the CPU. If it was still gel/liquid like then it might be alright but definitely not recommended. Are you monitoring temps? If not you should after this exercise!
  2. not yet but i certainly will when i get it up and running
  3. NOT RECOMENDED!!!!! AS SOON AS YOU REMOVE THE CPU YOU MUST REAPPLY PASTE. (note: this only applys if you have been using this cpu for more than a week, I'm assuming you have.) NO EXCEPTIONS.
  4. maziar321 said:
    NOT RECOMENDED!!!!! AS SOON AS YOU REMOVE THE CPU YOU MUST REAPPLY PASTE. (note: this only applys if you have been using this cpu for more than a week, I'm assuming you have.) NO EXCEPTIONS.

actually i haven't used the cpu at all. i was putting together my first build and something went wrong so i took it off of cpu cooler to reposition it to make sure it was ok.
  5. oh, you should have specified. In that case, you dont have to... I wouldn't reccomend doing so. You would just be wasting paste.
  6. If the paste is quite new, there is no need to replace it if it is still in a good condition. If it's been there for a while (I'd say about two weeks or longer), rather remove it (using a lint-free, fine-textured soft cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol) and replace. Also, if it gets dirty at all, even one speck of dust, rather replace and be safe... :)
  7. Right, exactly like I said...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Thermal Compound