Sign in with
Your question

Is it ok to remove cpu from cooler for just a min w/o reapplying paste

Last response: in CPUs
March 2, 2011 8:57:07 PM

i removed my cpu from cpu cooler last night for a minute to reposition it but didn't reapply thermal paste or glue or whatever its called. how serious is this?

More about : remove cpu cooler min reapplying paste

a c 900 à CPUs
March 2, 2011 9:37:15 PM

It depends If the paste was dry you most likely have reduced its ability to transfer heat from the CPU. If it was still gel/liquid like then it might be alright but definitely not recommended. Are you monitoring temps? If not you should after this exercise!
m
l
March 2, 2011 10:49:13 PM

not yet but i certainly will when i get it up and running
m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2011 4:25:51 AM

NOT RECOMENDED!!!!! AS SOON AS YOU REMOVE THE CPU YOU MUST REAPPLY PASTE. (note: this only applys if you have been using this cpu for more than a week, I'm assuming you have.) NO EXCEPTIONS.
m
l
March 3, 2011 12:07:20 PM

maziar321 said:
NOT RECOMENDED!!!!! AS SOON AS YOU REMOVE THE CPU YOU MUST REAPPLY PASTE. (note: this only applys if you have been using this cpu for more than a week, I'm assuming you have.) NO EXCEPTIONS.

actually i haven't used the cpu at all. i was putting together my first build and something went wrong so i took it off of cpu cooler to reposition it to make sure it was ok.
m
l
March 4, 2011 5:32:32 AM

oh, you should have specified. In that case, you dont have to... I wouldn't reccomend doing so. You would just be wasting paste.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2011 7:23:44 AM

If the paste is quite new, there is no need to replace it if it is still in a good condition. If it's been there for a while (I'd say about two weeks or longer), rather remove it (using a lint-free, fine-textured soft cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol) and replace. Also, if it gets dirty at all, even one speck of dust, rather replace and be safe... :) 
m
l
March 5, 2011 3:53:21 AM

Right, exactly like I said...
m
l
!