Sign in with
Your question

IS MY CPU TOO HOT?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 2, 2011 10:38:56 PM

Here it goes,

Recently I've been obsessing over my CPU temp since this is my first build (kind of a cheap but it does the job). So i decided to download the program prime95 to do a 100% load test to see what I'm getting, within half an hour my CPU temperature reaches 71°c and my CPU core temperatures reach 61°c. Now i usually idle at 30°c CPU temp and 25°c CPU core temps. Is it normal for a build like mine to spike up that much? and do I need to buy a new heat sink and fan? my computer tasks consist of mainly web development(adobe suite cs5), and some COD black ops every day or two for a few hours

I'm using the stock AMD fan and heat sink and i applied arctic silver 5 thermal compound. I'm using CPUID Hardware monitor to view my temperatures. The computer sits on my desk.

MY system:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz SKT AM3 L2 2MB NO OVERLOCK
MB: Biostar N68S3
Ram: Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Dual Channel Kit
Power supply: Orion 850W ATX 12V 2.2
Case: Sentey CS1-1398 side 90mm fan sucking in air, rear 120mm fan blowing out.
Graphics card: asus 4870 dk 1gb (single 21 inch monitor)

Thanks in advance.

More about : cpu hot

a c 78 à CPUs
March 2, 2011 11:39:16 PM

For a stock fan... it is fine at those temps.

To decrease your LOAD temps, you will need to get an aftermarket cooler.
March 3, 2011 12:28:54 AM

Thanks for the reply, I guess an aftermarket heatsink is an inevitable choice.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 3, 2011 1:44:46 AM

Yes, as tecmo said, you would be much happier with aftermarket cooler!

if you want liquid cooler: Corsair H70 is a monster!
or
CoolerMaster V6 GT
CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan
Thermaltake SpinQ Gaming CPU Cooling Fan
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2011 3:44:58 AM

I'd base your need for a cooler more on how much of a temp spike you see from REAL usage than what you see in a contrived stress test. At work, I have a pretty poorly cooled machine and I use CS5 for basically the same things as you. Most of the time, it is not stressing the CPU at anywhere NEAR full capacity, and there's plenty of time for it to relax in between heavy loads.

Basically, I can get the machine near overheating with stress tests like Prime95, but in regular usage it tops out in the 40s. If I actively TRY to do things to stress the CPU in normal usage (without using Prime95), I can maybe get it to break 50.

Point is, you can have worrisome test results but come nowhere near those levels in what you actually use the machine for. I'd monitor it through a round of gaming and see what the highest point it hits is. That 71 is worrisome, but if it's staying in the 40s and 50s in everyday situations, you don't need to worry just yet.

!