Wake from sleep when acceded from network?

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Not sure if this is possible, but I have a computer acting as a data server for my home network, I am trying to save power by putting it to sleep because it only get accessed once in wile, would prefer to put it in a S3 sleep.
Is there away to have it wake it self up when I attempt to access a file or something that is stored on the computer.

I looked in the BIOS and all I could find relating to network, was power on by modem.

Thanks

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
What OS are you using on the server..

Reason i ask there is a setting on win 7, Vista, and server 2008 (idk about xp and server 2003) when you go to device manger and click on your Ethernet driver there is a power management tab there is option to allow computer to go to sleep and wake up using the Ethernet device.. You can try that

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks for your help, i am running server 2008. Sorry I completely forgot about the OS in my first post.
Just discovered that there isn't a sleep option listed under the power setting on the server. I just barely install it a few days ago and I don't think I have run a windows update yet. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Will try it when I get the sleep function working.

thanks for your help

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
well servers i think out of default dont have sleep option. By going to server roles you can add desktop experience and change the server more into a workstation.

But defiantly look in device manger under your NIC for sleep mode

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks guys for your help, got it to wake up when I tryed to access it!! But it doesn't seem to want to go back to sleep again, after that. Do I need to be loged in for my user setting to apply? This is the Administrator account I am useing.

I just needed to install my video card drivers, then the sleep option appeard in the power settings.

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
What the time out period before it goes to sleep double check that or just reapply it so it registers.

Also check the power options under control panel and change the power settings

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I removed the screen from my server, So the only why I can access it now is remotely. But I think I need to be logged in locally to have the power setting apply.
Because I have the power button set to put computer to sleep when pressed, and it doesn't do anything when I press it.

Do you know how to apply user setting for the default user, that is used when on the log in screen?

I did unplug the Ethernet cable so I can't be stopped going to sleep by the network card.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

I don't think I do, Unless hyper V installs by default. Haven't install anything, server related (yet).

Ok did the powercfg.exe /hibernate on. nothing happened. So I am assuming it was all ready on.

I am rendering some video on the server, So I can't test it to see if it worked tell it is done :(

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Yep I did have UAC enabled. Now that it is disabled it is working!!!

But the wake up is very sensitive. Even if I have one other computer on the network, it will go to sleep then wake up with in a few seconds.

Sorry for the long response time I was out of town for a few day

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
hmmm maybe because the other machines are sending arp replays or any other replays to see what machines are online or on that network so it wakes up your server..

Maybe if you go to the power settings in control panel and set it to the lowest possible hopefully that work that will work

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
oo well at least we got one part down ill look into it and see what up..

Btw is your server on a switch or hub? Just curious because if you have it on a hub there's your reason

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
In fact, I don't think a router would do the deal either. A router will ping all nodes connected to it once in a while to know what is still around, which will wake your server up every time. The way that thing works is, every time the NIC receives a packet (any), it will wake the server up. I don't believe there is any way to decrease the "sensibility" of the NIC to wake up the server with some packets.

I might have some suggestion for you instead.

If you only access your data server from another PC, you could use wake on lan instead. That would means you could power off the server. When you need it, launch the wake on lan app on the other PC, and power up the server.

Another way would be to decrease all performance of your server to the minimum. Since, I suppose, it is only a data server, you don't need much performance. Even converting it to a minimal linux to create an ftp server, you could lower the perf even more.

Last way would be to get a NAS instead ;)

Kewlx25

Distinguished
An i7 OC'd to 4.1ghz with 6GB of 2100mhz DDR3 and an ATI 5770 only pulls ~280watts at the wall with GPU/CPU at full.

I bet you'll be surprised how little power it takes to let your server idle.. unless you have a ton of HDs. SSDs take much less power if you have the $$$.

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

I might have found what you are looking for. I am quite unsure on how it works, and if you can even do it, but I think its worth a look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Proxy_Service

If you look in the example, it states "file sharing".

Let me know if it works, and how you did it :)

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
It is on a switch

Hmm maybe I will just let it be then, it is using ~120watts at the moment (idle). I do have a 5 hard Drive in it, but they are supposedly turning off after a certain amount of time if they are not being used

I thought about the wake on LAN but I am using the server for media storage, with media center, and I don't have keyboard and mice connected to my Home theater PCs so I can't easy access a Wake on Lan program.

That Proxy thing look cool, but from the sound of it requires some device/computer to be running 24/7, to send the wake on LAN packet to the sleeping computer. which defeats the purpose in my case.