Building My 1st Desktop, Can't Pick A Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Week BUDGET RANGE: USD $0-200) Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Streaming High Definition Content To My TV, Via Wifi, and a Boxee Box, Very Infrequent Gaming, Casual Use

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: No Graphics Card Yet, A Corsair HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 Power Supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield Quad-Core CPU, EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 Mobo, G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (This will be 16GB by Christmas), a NZXT Zero 2 Case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon, Newegg, Tiger Direct (Not really picky, but I am an Amazon Prime member)

PARTS PREFERENCES: No Preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: As I said in the thread title, I'm building my first desktop, and I have no clue how to pick a graphics card. I have 4+ TB of HD media that my wife and I watch on our TV, and I'll be getting a Boxee Box as soon as they come out. I just want a card to get my content to my TV with as high of quality as possible. Thank you guys for any help.

Solution
Well, a low end card like an HD5450 or even onboard video can handle everything but the gaming... for $200 a GTX 460 is what you should be looking at for gaming at that resolution. Whether that is worth the extra $150 or so in order to do some "very infrequent gaming" you have to decide for yourself I guess.
BTW that PSU is overkill. A unit like that is intended for high end multiple video card setups. A 500w Corsair or Antec would be more than enough or 400w if you don't bother with the GTX 460. Also why on earth would you need 16gb of ram? more than 4 is mostly useless to a normal person and your processor/motherboard is LGA 1366 which means it uses triple channel ram so you will want 6gb(3x2gb) of ram, not 8gb. Or get 12gb I guess if...
Well, a low end card like an HD5450 or even onboard video can handle everything but the gaming... for $200 a GTX 460 is what you should be looking at for gaming at that resolution. Whether that is worth the extra $150 or so in order to do some "very infrequent gaming" you have to decide for yourself I guess.
BTW that PSU is overkill. A unit like that is intended for high end multiple video card setups. A 500w Corsair or Antec would be more than enough or 400w if you don't bother with the GTX 460. Also why on earth would you need 16gb of ram? more than 4 is mostly useless to a normal person and your processor/motherboard is LGA 1366 which means it uses triple channel ram so you will want 6gb(3x2gb) of ram, not 8gb. Or get 12gb I guess if you really insist on pointless overkill.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.